Noopsyche K7 Mini Schedule

tautog83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Im running it on an im15 as well ,and i run more white than anyone ive seen really . My blues peak at 55ish and whites close to 30 for 3 hrs then a slow ramp down . Violets no more than like 12%. Its still a bit blue for me .

Bahri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what was your previous light and what intensities was it running? K7 at 50/50/50 is actually quite strong, so you'd want to avoid burning your corals if they haven't been receiving as much light.
The previous light was from unknown company which came with this tank , It has no adjustable settings

Should I reduce all the channels to 30?

Attachments

• BFCF4F45-CEB7-43F6-9E65-6384DD8FDECB.jpeg
    BFCF4F45-CEB7-43F6-9E65-6384DD8FDECB.jpeg
    65.2 KB · Views: 90

Bahri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what was your previous light and what intensities was it running? K7 at 50/50/50 is actually quite strong, so you'd want to avoid burning your corals if they haven't been receiving as much light.
What about these settings

Attachments

• 276A2FDA-EC44-45A7-B4E4-95E13569E1D1.jpeg
    276A2FDA-EC44-45A7-B4E4-95E13569E1D1.jpeg
    96.4 KB · Views: 88

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now only Softie, but I am planning to have SPS and LPS in the future
Looks like an ~20gal 18"x18" cube. Perfect for this light. With softies I'd start with your 30/30/30 setting and slowly increase blue and violet towards 50/50/30. If you like a whiter look, go ahead and increase the whites. At 50/50/30, you should be able to grow most LPS in the middle of the tank and the lower light LPS on the sides. At the top of your rocks, you can do SPS, too (maybe not acros, I don't know as I don't have a tank set up for acros, just montis, birdsnests, pavonas and stylos). Can then start increasing to get more SPS in range!

Bahri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like an ~20gal 18"x18" cube. Perfect for this light. With softies I'd start with your 30/30/30 setting and slowly increase blue and violet towards 50/50/30. If you like a whiter look, go ahead and increase the whites. At 50/50/30, you should be able to grow most LPS in the middle of the tank and the lower light LPS on the sides. At the top of your rocks, you can do SPS, too (maybe not acros, I don't know as I don't have a tank set up for acros, just montis, birdsnests, pavonas and stylos). Can then start increasing to get more SPS in range!
What is your opinion about increasing 5 percent every Week until reaching 50 percent ? (30-35-40-45-50 )

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your opinion about increasing 5 percent every Week until reaching 50 percent ? (30-35-40-45-50 )
Bit beyond my knowledge base to say. I do 1% every other day, which is close to 5% per week. Remember that with this light the biggest per % PAR increase comes from blue channel, so I would at least stagger a bit. Corals will tell you if they don't like it, too! :)

Erikinsac

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you can borrow or rent a par meter, that would be a great thing to do. I was able to from a local reef store for $45, money well spent

I'm the one that shared the par readings on the IM15 and the K7 mini. yes, the blue channel has most of the par energy

Bahri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bit beyond my knowledge base to say. I do 1% every other day, which is close to 5% per week. Remember that with this light the biggest per % PAR increase comes from blue channel, so I would at least stagger a bit. Corals will tell you if they don't like it, too! :)
Thank you for your help.

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you can borrow or rent a par meter, that would be a great thing to do. I was able to from a local reef store for $45, money well spent

I'm the one that shared the par readings on the IM15 and the K7 mini. yes, the blue channel has most of the par energy
Thank you for that! I just got a PARwise and setting up my 40L with 2 K7 minis. Once that's up and running will report.

Bahri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After one day of using the light I would like to confirm that it’s much brighter than my previous light even at 30-30-30 percent .

should I increase the brightness or just keep it at 30 ?

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After one day of using the light I would like to confirm that it’s much brighter than my previous light even at 30-30-30 percent .

should I increase the brightness or just keep it at 30
@Erikinsac made an excellent analysis of this light over a 15" cube:

In your case, I personally would work on bringing PAR up from 30/30/30% to 150-200 PAR for LPS like torches and hammers. Bit higher for SPS in the upper part of the tank. So, depending on how blue you like it, you could work your way up to 40% blue and then to 50%. OR, if you like a whiter tank, could raise whites slowly to 50% and maybe a bit more in blue. Personally, I would adjust violet "to taste" since the violet channel affects your PAR the least, so whatever looks prettiest.

Bahri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using the light since 20 days till now .
The Corals are doing great but I’m facing algae problem on the rocks and also on the corals .
what is your recommendation?
Here is the light setting
IMG_4699.jpeg

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using the light since 20 days till now .
The Corals are doing great but I’m facing algae problem on the rocks and also on the corals .
what is your recommendation?
Here is the light setting
IMG_4699.jpeg
For algae, it is going to be hard to pinpoint the problem just to the lighting. In fact, I would save lighting adjustments for last and first work on what other issues may be causing the algae. Do you know what your current nitrates and phosphates are at? How much/often/what are your feeding? What fish? What filtration? Lots of variables regarding algae. I would recommend starting a new post for controlling your algae to get advice and write as much detail as possible in the initial post. You can tag me as well.

Bahri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For algae, it is going to be hard to pinpoint the problem just to the lighting. In fact, I would save lighting adjustments for last and first work on what other issues may be causing the algae. Do you know what your current nitrates and phosphates are at? How much/often/what are your feeding? What fish? What filtration? Lots of variables regarding algae. I would recommend starting a new post for controlling your algae to get advice and write as much detail as possible in the initial post. You can tag me as well.

The tank is 10 months old and I have not seen like this amount of Algae before.
I have 3 small fish with 1 shrimp and some of snails.
I feed them a little once a day . I give them flake .

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 23.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 34.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 31.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 8.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back