Not off to a great start

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

OP
OP
B

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Hello Frank, We would like to take a moment to provide some clarification on certain aspects that may have been misconstrued. Firstly, it's important to note that we maintain uniform settings for all devices, ensuring consistent tests and sequences across all devices are the same. However, there are a few existing editable settings in place. These are designed to offer assistance to users who may encounter specific issues and make them easily addressed, this might happen because our primary aim is to ensure your experience with our devices is seamless and effective.

Thank you,
So you don't but you do :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

mfollen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Issue after issue after issue these devices bring. The customer keeps working with support until they are exhausted and give up and then disappears.

To me these devices are not functional and shouldn’t be able to sell to hobbyist assuming that these devices consistently perform.

I wish reef2reef would have a quality control on what companies they allow to advertise so their user base isn’t getting their hard earned money wasted on products that aren’t ready to be marketed.

robinfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
After reading this post I’m concerned, I was talking with Hady through FB because my unit hasn’t been used in a while. He was quick to send me an update for my reefbot, it still isn’t working. I have messaged him multiple times in the past 2 days with no response. I can’t connect to the app and without that it’s useless.

Inamo

View Badges
Reaction score
After reading this post I’m concerned, I was talking with Hady through FB because my unit hasn’t been used in a while. He was quick to send me an update for my reefbot, it still isn’t working. I have messaged him multiple times in the past 2 days with no response. I can’t connect to the app and without that it’s useless.
@HadyOss isn't the "official" tech support and is busy. So some times it might take a few days for him to get back to you. It took him an extra couple days to answer me this past weekend, but he did in the end. Just send him another message and let him know it still isn't working. They are in Lebanon, so they are in the opposite time zone from us.

In the mean time, try this link. It is to the web version of the dashboard. I find it cleaner and easier to navigate, especially in "Desktop Mode". Dashboard If that doesn't work, post up the issue in a new thread here and maybe one of us can help.

Also, I see it says your location is FWB, is that Ft Walton Beach? If so I'm up in Crestview and work on Eglin.

robinfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
@HadyOss isn't the "official" tech support and is busy. So some times it might take a few days for him to get back to you. It took him an extra couple days to answer me this past weekend, but he did in the end. Just send him another message and let him know it still isn't working. They are in Lebanon, so they are in the opposite time zone from us.

In the mean time, try this link. It is to the web version of the dashboard. I find it cleaner and easier to navigate, especially in "Desktop Mode". Dashboard If that doesn't work, post up the issue in a new thread here and maybe one of us can help.

Also, I see it says your location is FWB, is that Ft Walton Beach? If so I'm up in Crestview and work on Eglin.
Yes sir, I'm in Fort Walton.

robinfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Update! Hady contacted me yesterday and we are getting everything resolved.

OP
OP
B

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
"Everything resolved"

Is the operative word.

In many many weeks of testing and trying, nothing was really resolved for me any many others who have contacted me privately. In all cases, the same basic repetitive solutions were proposed and same basic outcomes achieved. Don't mistake kindness and happy words for quality support and service.

Honestly ask yourself, why you would need to contact Hady or support to get a device back online in the first place? The product development and deployment IMHO is extremely poorly documented, communicated or managed. The device is wholly reliant on their cloud services and they change things on a whim that effect everyone. They also (as admitted to above) tweak individual user devices as need to massage results. This thing is a super cool idea, but (again IMHO) the implementation is a train wreck and only to get worse as the user base grows and they struggle to keep putting out fires.

I am now being basically ignored by RK in the sense that they will not communicate with me unless I work through support to keep doing exactly what I have tried and been doing since the day I unboxed the device. So keep trying and be happy or sell the device (they, with a straight face suggested I sell it to somebody else who will be happy with it).

I have several other DMs here and on FB from people who are in the exact same situation. That is,. they were after weeks or months of problems that they can't get a refund because the device works properly and reagents are the issue. In each case RK has gone basically radio silent other than suggesting new reagents and calibrations or selling the amazing device to another person.

20+ years of reef keeping and close to 40 years as an aquarist. This is shaping up to be one of the most frustrating experiences I have encountered in this hobby.

Last edited:

mfollen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Couldn’t have said it any better! I wish there was more oversight on what functioning products could be marketed to consumers.

I understand chemicals and supplements are one thing, but physical products should not result in so many problems for a user to resolve in order to regain function for only a brief period of time.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
"Everything resolved"

Is the operative word.

In many many weeks of testing and trying, nothing was really resolved for me any many others who have contacted me privately. In all cases, the same basic repetitive solutions were proposed and same basic outcomes achieved. Don't mistake kindness and happy words for quality support and service.

Honestly ask yourself, why you would need to contact Hady or support to get a device back online in the first place? The product development and deployment IMHO is extremely poorly documented, communicated or managed. The device is wholly reliant on their cloud services and they change things on a whim that effect everyone. They also (as admitted to above) tweak individual user devices as need to massage results. This thing is a super cool idea, but (again IMHO) the implementation is a train wreck and only to get worse as the user base grows and they struggle to keep putting out fires.

I am now being basically ignored by RK in the sense that they will not communicate with me unless I work through support to keep doing exactly what I have tried and been doing since the day I unboxed the device. So keep trying and be happy or sell the device (they, with a straight face suggested I sell it to somebody else who will be happy with it).

I have several other DMs here and on FB from people who are in the exact same situation. That is,. they were after weeks or months of problems that they can't get a refund because the device works properly and reagents are the issue. In each case RK has gone basically radio silent other than suggesting new reagents and calibrations or selling the amazing device to another person.

20+ years of reef keeping and close to 40 years as an aquarist. This is shaping up to be one of the most frustrating experiences I have encountered in this hobby.
I love your relentless pursuit and am glad that others are starting to line up behind you.

I hope the outcome is a better product that does what is claimed.

At the very least I'd love to see transparency in the part of the company and while also admitting that there are in fact known issues and that they're working hard to find solutions. I don't think anyone buys that the units are working perfectly and I think if all parties can agree on that, the next steps might bear fruit.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
"Everything resolved"

Is the operative word.

At what point are you giving up and either asking for a refund or taking the product offline and no longer putting time into it? Maybe you already have and I missed it, apologies. I know by reading through the thread(s) you spent a lot of money to get some form of repeatability and consistency. Just wondering what the end goal is now.

OP
OP
B

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I very kindly asked for a refund based on my overall experience, the device's failure to provide consistent results, the outright lie regarding the API availability, the side covers not fitting with the 60ml vials, etc.

I spent considerable time troubleshooting and roughly ~$1500 on various tests kit batches and Hanna checkers to provide additional data points.

I took the device offline because it was wasting water and reagent for no good reason.

I was denied a refund and cited the return policy and told to try to sell the device if I was unhappy. That was frustrating on its own.

However, RK has TWICE publicly attempted to spin the issue as my unwillingness to work with support to KEEP TRYING with more new reagents and calibrations. That is the part that makes me more angry than anything else. As I said, my inbox has remarks from numerous people who are in exactly the same boat.

Remember, when this all started and I raised some of my issues on the FB group, they post banned me with the excuse that other international "members" were complaining about the (very kind) posts. I am not calling anybody a liar but that either does not pass the sniff test or if it does, then they are catering to a bunch of pathetic losers who can't bear to see anything that goes against their positive exerpeince of the product. Either way, is this a company I really want to do business with?

Within 24 hours several other FB users DMd me indicating that they saw my posts, but were post banned for trying to get support and to be careful and deal with Hady via DM only.

I should have tried to reverse the credit card charges at that point when I still could.

Hady has been very polite, but polite does not reconcile the state of the device or the overall experience or performance.

So where we stand is either engage support and keep trying (spending more time and money) or just unplug the device and move on.

Edit above for contexts and punctuation.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I would also add, that if this company were in the United Sates I would consider seeking legal recourse to force a refund. I would do that based on the fact that during the troubles of the first week, Hady offered a return/refund (minus shipping). At his request I agreed to keep testing for a few weeks on the condition that I could exercise that refund if things did not improve to my satisfaction.

I am honestly that frustrated with this entire experience. It is not personal, I just feel like I flushed $3K down the toilet and the vendor is all smiles and acting like there are no issues.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I would also add, that if this company were in the United Sates I would consider seeking legal recourse to force a refund. I would do that based on the fact that during the troubles of the first week, Hady offered a return/refund (minus shipping). At his request I agreed to keep testing for a few weeks on the condition that I could exercise that refund if things did not improve to my satisfaction.

I am honestly that frustrated with this entire experience. It is not personal, I just feel like I flushed $3K down the toilet and the vendor is all smiles and acting like there are no issues.

I think in the grand scheme of things giving a refund outside of the normal period of time for your feedback is well worth the effort on their part. Just my opinion. It isn't admitting anything and there was no mud slinging. Just a documentary of your experience, trials, and tribulations.

I guess what I'm saying is having followed your posts here, and elsewhere, you have been professional in your posts. Never aggressive towards the company or product in discussion. This is an example whereas if it was me I would do the refund on that very fact alone.

Sorry for the situation you are in and have gone through.

Moonrock

View Badges
Reaction score
Issue after issue after issue these devices bring. The customer keeps working with support until they are exhausted and give up and then disappears.

To me these devices are not functional and shouldn’t be able to sell to hobbyist assuming that these devices consistently perform.

I wish reef2reef would have a quality control on what companies they allow to advertise so their user base isn’t getting their hard earned money wasted on products that aren’t ready to be marketed.
I think i need to make a post about my experience before others fall victim as well.....

Moonrock

View Badges
Reaction score
1691447275679.png

Manual test shows around 8.2 dKh (RedSea Pro)
KH director shows 10.8
and Reefbot lab using the same reagent that showed 8.2 above... shows "date error"

Also
60ml vials with long side out are hard to get into place but also it appears that they will interfere with the needle clearance.
Short side out doesn't allow the sides to go back on without bulging.

The instructions are almost non-existent. Not a word about calibration, when, how often etc.
What is the micro SD card holder for (I can guess, but why is this not in clearly stated). Same for the larger allen wrench supplied.... and the zip ties.

I can measure, but why is there not something that states exactly how much tank water is used per testing cycle... this is important for automated makeup water to maintain salinity.

In the same fashion - there is no input for feed line length or volume. How does the Reefbot know it is measuring fresh tank water and not stale water trapped in the feed line?

Bug: Accessing the WEB app - unable to edit vial volumes - fields are locked. Can be updated using mobile app.

Anyway - off to try another parameter (maybe calcium or mag).
In the same fashion - there is no input for feed line length or volume. How does the Reefbot know it is measuring fresh tank water and not stale water trapped in the feed line?

Bug: Accessing the WEB app - unable to edit vial volumes - fields are locked. Can be updated using mobile app.

I also had these same issues.
1691447275679.png

Manual test shows around 8.2 dKh (RedSea Pro)
KH director shows 10.8
and Reefbot lab using the same reagent that showed 8.2 above... shows "date error"

Also
60ml vials with long side out are hard to get into place but also it appears that they will interfere with the needle clearance.
Short side out doesn't allow the sides to go back on without bulging.

The instructions are almost non-existent. Not a word about calibration, when, how often etc.
What is the micro SD card holder for (I can guess, but why is this not in clearly stated). Same for the larger allen wrench supplied.... and the zip ties.

I can measure, but why is there not something that states exactly how much tank water is used per testing cycle... this is important for automated makeup water to maintain salinity.

Anyway - off to try another parameter (maybe calcium or mag).
the entire reason I asked about extending the lines was that if you extend the feed line, then stale water would just sit on the line depending on the length; there should be a way to flush the line out with certain a amount of salt water so that it gets a fresh read.

you also can't change the test vial amount through the app but you can on the website unfortunately.

Frosty Latte

View Badges
Reaction score
Just bought version 1.0 used, and this is what I keep getting. It seems like the testing chamber isn’t filling. The pump is spinning for tank water, but doesn’t seem to be filling. How do I fix this?

Attachments

• IMG_0603.png
    IMG_0603.png
    145.2 KB · Views: 27

Reef Kinetics

View Badges
Reaction score
Just bought version 1.0 used, and this is what I keep getting. It seems like the testing chamber isn’t filling. The pump is spinning for tank water, but doesn’t seem to be filling. How do I fix this?
Hello Frosty, if you're dealing with a used device, the solenoid valve left after the orange pump might be clogged with dried salts. Here are the steps to address this:

1. Unplug the hoses connected to the valve.
2. Repeat the process demonstrated in the video attached.
3. you should feel a spring-like mechanism opening and closing when pushing inside the valve. Repeat this process until you feel the valve is cleared and opening smoothly.

You can find the video demonstration here: [YouTube Link]
If you have the first model that had 3 valves, you should perform the same procedure on the 3 valves as well.

Additionally, other factors might be clogged tubes or a broken stepper pump. Kindly send a message to [email protected] and the team will assist you accordingly.

Have a great day,

Frosty Latte

View Badges
Reaction score
Thank you. I replaced that valve instead next to the orange pump. You were right as that is why the test chamber wasn’t filling.

I’m still not getting readings though. Any idea what might be causing this problem?

Attachments

• IMG_0647.png
    IMG_0647.png
    86.2 KB · Views: 27

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 14.8%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 90 49.2%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 56 30.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.7%
Back