Nottingham’s Red Sea Reefer 350 G2+ Max Build

Synthgp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here we go!

I will say I am excited and nervous! Been a while since I’ve had a tank (20+ years ago) and it was freshwater at that. This is my dive into the deep end with a reef tank.

I will update as I go, I was delivered to the curb this morning. Luckily there were a couple of guys in the neighborhood that helped me bring it into the house.

Good to know I have a weekend project waiting for me!

IMG_0603.jpeg
IMG_0605.jpeg

Socalrob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking about a 250-300-350 myself. One concern I have is reach to bottom and rear of tank. Looking forward to your observations.

OP
OP
Synthgp

Synthgp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking about a 250-300-350 myself. One concern I have is reach to bottom and rear of tank. Looking forward to your observations.
This one is as tall as an old 38 gallon tank that I used to have. I have had no issues reaching the bottom (I am 5’9”) but was also not concerned about having to put my arms in the tank.

That said, with reef tanks, the less you need to put your hands/oils, etc in the tank, the better, so I expect to limit this by using a variety of longer instruments for algae, coral placement, etc.

dschuffert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like an excellent project that will end up with a beautiful tank. Please keep us updated on your progress.

OP
OP
Synthgp

Synthgp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been a slow go for me...learning everything as I go. Now working on the scape. I have the left and center sections almost complete (I think). Let me know what you think, any and all advice welcome!

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scape looks great! Are you building it with coral placement / stocking in mind? :upside-down-face:

It's a good looking tank, fits perfect in that space! Cant wait to see it wet!!

OP
OP
Synthgp

Synthgp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scape looks great! Are you building it with coral placement / stocking in mind? :upside-down-face:

Ha! Can I say both, coral and for a fish heavy tank? As this is a first for me, I am planning to stick with softies and LPS. Would you change anything?

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha! Can I say both, coral and for a fish heavy tank? As this is a first for me, I am planning to stick with softies and LPS. Would you change anything?
I wouldn't change anything, but I would consider which corals I want where based on their need for light and flow :upside-down-face: but all that I'm sure you can sort out down the line with powerheads placed where needed in the tank :upside-down-face:

OP
OP
Synthgp

Synthgp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay - so I think I am done with the scape - please do let me know what you think before I begin the transfer into the tank!
20231223 - Aquascape - 2.jpeg
20231223 - Aquascape - 3.jpeg
20231223 - Aquascape - 4.jpeg

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great!! Is the inner or outer edge of the tape the glass? :) Make sure to leave room for a scraper :cool:

OP
OP
Synthgp

Synthgp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great!! Is the inner or outer edge of the tape the glass? :) Make sure to leave room for a scraper :cool:
Thanks! The outer edge is the glass. Do you think it comes across as too busy?

I had cross posted on the aquascape forum as well, and there was a bit of concern that it might be too busy and might not be good for coral placement and bigger fish...which would destroy the purpose of this mixed reef.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! The outer edge is the glass. Do you think it comes across as too busy?

I had cross posted on the aquascape forum as well, and there was a bit of concern that it might be too busy and might not be good for coral placement and bigger fish...which would destroy the purpose of this mixed reef.
Not at all, i like it a lot :cool: i am interested in seeing how you're gonna manage the flow, some strategically placed powerheads and you should be good though!

OP
OP
Synthgp

Synthgp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not at all, i like it a lot :cool: i am interested in seeing how you're gonna manage the flow, some strategically placed powerheads and you should be good though!
Out of curiosity, how do you check flow? Was thinking of a stick with a thread on it to visualize it once filled with water. Thoughts?

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out of curiosity, how do you check flow? Was thinking of a stick with a thread on it to visualize it once filled with water. Thoughts?
An air pump and an air stone will give you a good visual representation as to how the flow acts in your tank :)

Its a dance though that continues as your corals start to grow - and not a "set it and forget it" kinda thing :upside-down-face:

OP
OP
Synthgp

Synthgp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on some feedback, I reduced the scape a bit to open it up a little. I think it keeps the same theme, but should hopefully provide more space for corals and tang(s)?

Thoughts?

IMG_0835.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Synthgp

Synthgp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here is the scape in the tank. I feel it should go a bit higher. Thoughts? The highest point is at 12”. My assumption when full is that there will be 18 inches of water over a 1.5in sand bed. So the bottom 1.5 inches of scape will be covered by the sand.

Should the scape go higher? And if so, which part(s) would you increase height on?

IMG_0840.jpeg
image.jpg
IMG_0841.jpeg

Hollywood_XL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful scape with endless possibilities!! Height is spot on, don't go higher you reget it in the long term with corals growing, shading etc etc.....

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back