nsw in cold ocean

Ssiopao

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello all,

i used saltmix for more than a decade and stopped reefing when i moved to iceland. i finally started my reef tank here and still using saltmix then i found a spot to collect clean nsw and thinking of using it to my 2 tanks (1 is still empty nano).

as of now, i only have no3 and po4 to test the water so i don't know the other parameters.

anyone who also live in the cold country using nsw?

thank you

OP
OP
Ssiopao

Ssiopao

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uk been using nsw and never looked back
I use it on my native tank and tropical tank
The main thing that changes is Salinity no rain higher Salinity loads of rain and low Salinity
that's nice to here. thank you for the response.

i was just thinking of the parameters like calcium level and the others.

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that's nice to here. thank you for the response.

i was just thinking of the parameters like calcium level and the others.
Best thing to do is get a sample of your nsw and test it for calcium and mag also nitrate and phosphate. You will get a tiny reading from nitrate every thing else should be fine. Us as reefers are trying to duplicate nsw but if you have nsw near your problem solved
If you would like to join rock pool reef keepers press on your account look bottom left at user group scroll down to Rock pool reef keepers and join

OP
OP
Ssiopao

Ssiopao

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best thing to do is get a sample of your nsw and test it for calcium and mag also nitrate and phosphate. You will get a tiny reading from nitrate every thing else should be fine. Us as reefers are trying to duplicate nsw but if you have nsw near your problem solved
If you would like to join rock pool reef keepers press on your account look bottom left at user group scroll down to Rock pool reef keepers and join
thanks Nman. ill try to get nsw later. i dont have ca and mg test kit at the moment and will definitely order that online as it is hard to get equipment and LS here locally.

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks Nman. ill try to get nsw later. i dont have ca and mg test kit at the moment and will definitely order that online as it is hard to get equipment and LS here locally.
Nsw will be fine for mag and calcium

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NSW should work just fine. I would check the salinity if the collection point is near any fresh water sources that could dilute the NSW. I'm thinking melting ice runoff or streams. I live on a barrier island and have to avoid the inlets where the sound (fed from rivers) empties into the ocean. Salinity and contaminates near the inlets are greatly affected by the runoff. I collect NSW about 5 miles away from the inlet.

OP
OP
Ssiopao

Ssiopao

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
got 20gals this afternoon. i tested the water. no3: between 0 and 2. po3: between 0 and 0.03. using salifert kits

Nsw will be fine for mag and calcium
that's great.

NSW should work just fine. I would check the salinity if the collection point is near any fresh water sources that could dilute the NSW. I'm thinking melting ice runoff or streams. I live on a barrier island and have to avoid the inlets where the sound (fed from rivers) empties into the ocean. Salinity and contaminates near the inlets are greatly affected by the runoff. I collect NSW about 5 miles away from the inlet.
thank you. salinity is 1.028 as per refractometer.

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
got 20gals this afternoon. i tested the water. no3: between 0 and 2. po3: between 0 and 0.03. using salifert kits

that's great.

thank you. salinity is 1.028 as per refractometer.
Sounds good, the salinity is slightly high (normal seawater is 1.026). Could be related to cold water temperature, or the need to recalibrate the refractometer, or the water was in a tidal pool with low circulation where some evaporation may have occurred increasing the pool's salinity.

OP
OP
Ssiopao

Ssiopao

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good, the salinity is slightly high (normal seawater is 1.026). Could be related to cold water temperature, or the need to recalibrate the refractometer, or the water was in a tidal pool with low circulation where some evaporation may have occurred increasing the pool's salinity.
yes, ill check the salinity again when the temp is right before adding freshwater.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh that's nice to hear. then i don't need to worry about other parameters.

btw its great to received a reply from you. thanks

You’re welcome and thanks.

Happy Reefing!

Poseidon03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello all,

i used saltmix for more than a decade and stopped reefing when i moved to iceland. i finally started my reef tank here and still using saltmix then i found a spot to collect clean nsw and thinking of using it to my 2 tanks (1 is still empty nano).

as of now, i only have no3 and po4 to test the water so i don't know the other parameters.

anyone who also live in the cold country using nsw?

thank you

BRS did an investigation a few years ago about salt storage.

If it's heated and circulating, I don't see much difference than if it was in a reef tank circulating.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS did an investigation a few years ago about salt storage.

If it's heated and circulating, I don't see much difference than if it was in a reef tank circulating.

If we are talking about new artificial seawater, there are important differences that make raw salt water far more prone to precipitation of calcium carbonate than in a reef tank at the same parameters.

If we are talking about natural seawater, I would agree with the exception of what happens to dead microorganisms that may be consumed by filter feeders or skimmers or scavengers or what not, but in a mixing barrel may just decompose.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using cold seawater from the shore of New York since 1971. No problems yet

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.6%
Back