Nudibranch

scotty333

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found this guy on my glass , I’m no expert but it’s a nudibranch and looks like a bergia to me
What to do with him?
I’ve got an aiptasia if he could find it

IMG_2657.jpeg

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, that's not a Berghia nudibranch, it's a Phestilla nudibranch, and it's a coral-eater.

I'm still learning how to differentiate the individual species in the genus, but most of them eat things like Montipora, Porites, Acros, Gonis, and Alveopora.

OP
OP
S

scotty333

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I’ve lost 4 montis recently but put it down to the light being at 60-80 par
Wouldn’t my peacock wrasse eat them?

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I’ve lost 4 montis recently but put it down to the light being at 60-80 par
Wouldn’t my peacock wrasse eat them?
It might, but by reports I've read of them with Berghia nudibranchs, it seems they wouldn't get all or even really enough of the nudibranchs to slow the population's growth.

Knowing that you've been losing montis is helpful though:
Phestilla subodiosa, also known as Montipora Eating Nudibranchs (MEN).

Some wrasses are known to eat them; I've also heard of using Camel Shrimp (Rhynchocinetes durbanensis) in a QT tank for a few days (I'd probably suggest 3-4 weeks, depending on the severity of the infestation, but that's a guess and not from experience) to take care of the infestation.*

That said, manual removal is also an option - you can remove any adults and eggs you can find; the eggs take ~2 days to hatch and ~8-10 days to settle/turn into mini versions of the adults, so you have basically 10 days between batches you can remove.**

I've heard that dips work on the adults as well, so that's an option to remove the adults (this won't get rid of the eggs though, so you still need to take care of them after the larvae settle).

*Source:
Untitled 1 **Source:
https://www.researchgate.net/public...osa_Nudibranchia_Trinchesiidae_from_Hong_Kong

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 6 6.2%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 25 25.8%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 48 49.5%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 17 17.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.0%
Back