Nutrient stability

Clown93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If my nitrate was at 1.5 yesterday and today its at 2.4 phosphate was at 0.02 yesterday today it's at 0.03 how would I go about keeping my levels stable should I just be trying too keep my levels under 5.0 between weekly water changes instead of chasing numbers? Anyone help is greatly appreciated

MrGisonni

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a balancing act. Feed more, feed less, dose nitrate, turn the skimmer up turn the skimmer down, clean the filter socks, leave the filter socks alone, perform water changes, or let them go for a while. Feed reef roids, harvest algae, let algae go, cut back on reef roids, add rowaphos, remove rowaphos. React quickly to what you're observing with your testing and adjust slowly. Stability is a relative term when it comes to reefing.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If my nitrate was at 1.5 yesterday and today its at 2.4 phosphate was at 0.02 yesterday today it's at 0.03 how would I go about keeping my levels stable should I just be trying too keep my levels under 5.0 between weekly water changes instead of chasing numbers? Anyone help is greatly appreciated
I would measure the trend week over week. Until you go north of 15ppm nitrate and .2ppm phosphate, I’d do nothing but continue your normal maintenance and feeding regime, they may stabilize on their own.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 44 32.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 36 26.7%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 26 19.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.7%
Back