Nutrition First

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually post in the Predator Forum, I post many threads about the care of the predatory fish like lions, other scorps, anglers, eels, etc. I post many threads on nutrition, as I believe along with water qualiity, is the foundation to long term success. I know I will speaking with a very small subset of hobbyist with my observations. I know this by the way humans take care of their own health; here is the US close to 70% are taking pharmaceutical chemicals and the US diet comprises close to 70% processed food. My approach is clean water, fresh food, and even live food for some or when necessary by other events.

Let get back to basics, I am finding more and more, people don't even understand what a carnivore is; or an omnivore, or an herbivore. This is one of the 1st thing I learned. So figure that out and do some research on what the specific fish actually eats in the wild. Then try and design a diet based on these two simple inputs. In captivity we can not always supply the exact same things they eat in the wild, so some alternatives will need to be thought out. In the wild everyone eats live, there are no scavengers that I know of that any of us keep in our aquariums; fish I am talking about not inverts. That includes herbivores, as they eat live algae. They also eat whole organisms, not bits and pieces, and scraps. And they are certainly not eating chemical nutritional enhancements or wheat and soy found in pellets and flake food.

We don't have an absolute hobby, and there are many solutions and causes to a plethora of issues. But instead of jumping to the chemical solution or blaming something abstract like carbon or stray voltage; lets first look at water quality and diet. I have rescued and reversed many conditions of a multitude of species by simply addressing these two issues. I have halted toxic chemical interventions and just simply changed the diet of many lions, eels, and even tangs and angels and saw the recovery with my own eyes.

If you are feeding your fish the same thing; scraps of long dead fish treated with chemicals, frozen for who knows how long, or something dried and mixed in with soy and wheat and chemicals additives; then let's start there. If you are feeding your herbivores a dominant meat diet in an immature tank, supplemented with dried seaweed and they develop hlle, let's start with the diet. Include some live macro algae and fresh protein sources. Even more important but less likely to be followed, have some maturity in your tank with available micro algae before you add your tangs, or even angels for that matter. If your lion or eel is declining and all you are feeding them is krill, let's look at that maybe being the culprit. If you want to find out more info on the predatory fish I mentioned, you can click my name and "find all threads".

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to comment and debate this (especially the human issues), but I'm feeling lazy today haha. I'll be back :)

Finzin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually post in the Predator Forum, I post many threads about the care of the predatory fish like lions, other scorps, anglers, eels, etc. I post many threads on nutrition, as I believe along with water qualiity, is the foundation to long term success. I know I will speaking with a very small subset of hobbyist with my observations. I know this by the way humans take care of their own health; here is the US close to 70% are taking pharmaceutical chemicals and the US diet comprises close to 70% processed food. My approach is clean water, fresh food, and even live food for some or when necessary by other events.

Let get back to basics, I am finding more and more, people don't even understand what a carnivore is; or an omnivore, or an herbivore. This is one of the 1st thing I learned. So figure that out and do some research on what the specific fish actually eats in the wild. Then try and design a diet based on these two simple inputs. In captivity we can not always supply the exact same things they eat in the wild, so some alternatives will need to be thought out. In the wild everyone eats live, there are no scavengers that I know of that any of us keep in our aquariums; fish I am talking about not inverts. That includes herbivores, as they eat live algae. They also eat whole organisms, not bits and pieces, and scraps. And they are certainly not eating chemical nutritional enhancements or wheat and soy found in pellets and flake food.

We don't have an absolute hobby, and there are many solutions and causes to a plethora of issues. But instead of jumping to the chemical solution or blaming something abstract like carbon or stray voltage; lets first look at water quality and diet. I have rescued and reversed many conditions of a multitude of species by simply addressing these two issues. I have halted toxic chemical interventions and just simply changed the diet of many lions, eels, and even tangs and angels and saw the recovery with my own eyes.

If you are feeding your fish the same thing; scraps of long dead fish treated with chemicals, frozen for who knows how long, or something dried and mixed in with soy and wheat and chemicals additives; then let's start there. If you are feeding your herbivores a dominant meat diet in an immature tank, supplemented with dried seaweed and they develop hlle, let's start with the diet. Include some live macro algae and fresh protein sources. Even more important but less likely to be followed, have some maturity in your tank with available micro algae before you add your tangs, or even angels for that matter. If your lion or eel is declining and all you are feeding them is krill, let's look at that maybe being the culprit. If you want to find out more info on the predatory fish I mentioned, you can click my name and "find all threads".

ello Lion King,
I have enjoyed your thoughts and experiences with feeding predatory fish. After reading your threads and Jay Hemdals comments I want to try to avoid Fatty Liver Disease in my Queen and Clown Triggers. I currently feed a com
bo of NLS pellets with no ethoxyquin. And LRS Chunky. They both are excellent products. There is however roughly 25 percent Whole wheat flour in the NLS which they claim is one of the lower amounts amongst pellets. Yet is this still enough to cause fatty liver? There is no data I can find. Had been using daily can cut back. Also with the nutritionally dense pellets it’s a lot easier to overfeed although the fish don’t look over weight and I keep up with maintenance via water changes skimmers and large macro algae refugiums. In one of Jay Hemdals posts he says a fish doesn’t have to be overweight to develop Fatty Liver. Also listed as a cause is excess fat in the diet. I know HuFAs from Omega 3 sources are positive and necessary. How do you gauge how much salmon to feed. Too much of a good thing may not be good. I think you mentioned every third or forth feeding in your experience is good. Maybe with necropsy proven lack of fatty liver? Is there any other evidence for this. I can’t find any other guidance. I assume you have had no problems feeding true silversides from the Asian market? I would feel safer with The SFBB silverside but want to avoid the ethoxyquin. I also remain cognizant of avoiding or minimizing thiaminase. I know you may not have all the answers some of which may not exist, but I wanted to get your take on my situation with the Triggers. Queen is 13 inches in a 360 gallon alone and The Clown is 10 inches in a 360 gallon with a chromis I couldn’t catch. It appears they have adequate swimming space for now which they use. Of course not approximating the ocean.I sent this to Jay Hemdal as well to see if has any additional thoughts on the subject.

ello Lion King,
I have enjoyed your thoughts and experiences with feeding predatory fish. After reading your threads and Jay Hemdals comments I want to try to avoid Fatty Liver Disease in my Queen and Clown Triggers. I currently feed a com
bo of NLS pellets with no ethoxyquin. And LRS Chunky. They both are excellent products. There is however roughly 25 percent Whole wheat flour in the NLS which they claim is one of the lower amounts amongst pellets. Yet is this still enough to cause fatty liver? There is no data I can find. Had been using daily can cut back. Also with the nutritionally dense pellets it’s a lot easier to overfeed although the fish don’t look over weight and I keep up with maintenance via water changes skimmers and large macro algae refugiums. In one of Jay Hemdals posts he says a fish doesn’t have to be overweight to develop Fatty Liver. Also listed as a cause is excess fat in the diet. I know HuFAs from Omega 3 sources are positive and necessary. How do you gauge how much salmon to feed. Too much of a good thing may not be good. I think you mentioned every third or forth feeding in your experience is good. Maybe with necropsy proven lack of fatty liver? Is there any other evidence for this. I can’t find any other guidance. I assume you have had no problems feeding true silversides from the Asian market? I would feel safer with The SFBB silverside but want to avoid the ethoxyquin. I also remain cognizant of avoiding or minimizing thiaminase. I know you may not have all the answers some of which may not exist, but I wanted to get your take on my situation with the Triggers. Queen is 13 inches in a 360 gallon alone and The Clown is 10 inches in a 360 gallon with a chromis I couldn’t catch. It appears they have adequate swimming space for now which they use. Of course not approximating the ocean.I sent this to Jay Hemdal as well to see if has any additional thoughts on the subject. Thanks! @Jay Hemdal

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 13.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 96 57.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 7.2%
Back