Nyos pure salt

braaap

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Good salt. Mixes clear. Close to the weight they say it needs for 5 gallons. Mine is .2 lbs off.

Good backup salt. Best salt is Brightwell. I’ll be going back to it when I finish this bucket of Elos

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Good salt. Mixes clear. Close to the weight they say it needs for 5 gallons. Mine is .2 lbs off.

Good backup salt. Best salt is Brightwell. I’ll be going back to it when I finish this bucket of Elos

What makes a salt the “best” salt?

braaap

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
What makes a salt the “best” salt?

One that is consistent bucket to bucket and tests well for all the major levels. It also mixes nice and clean.

Brightwell ticks all those boxes over 20+ buckets. It’s just quite expensive compared to everything else.

braaap

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
How are you guys liking nyos?

I tossed out half the bucket and went back to Brightwell. My levels went completely stable in about 3 weeks after switching back. And I'm seeing growth where I wasn't with the Nyos.

braaap

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Which levels became unstable from nyos?

Everything. The main 3 and even some other trace elements. The ICP on the bucket didn't match my results.

Swapped to Brightwell and it mixes consistent every single time. My levels are very steady every change and with dosing. And I'm now seeing growth that I wasnt for 6+ months with Nyos.

Gribbles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh man @braaap ! I've had the exact opposite experience. Still using Nyos salt, tank is looking pretty good overall (I'm still a newb tho!) and the mixed water tests very close to the ICP label

However, it did turn into a giant rock - again. That doesn't bother me too much.

reeferID

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just finishing my 2nd 20kg, and 3rd bag ready to go. I'm very pleased with everything about Nyos salt. I normally mix 15-18 gallons at a time, and I also find that it takes a bit more than 2 1/2 cups per 5 gallons to get to 1.026 (for 15 gallons I add an extra 1/3 cup.)

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.6%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 180 72.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.8%
Back