OP
o2manyfish

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool, keep us posted on the progress!

I don't know how much progress there will be, He's in the 400g display tank with all the fish. The moment he releases the babies they are going to be gobbled up. I may get motivated tomorrow and try to build a fake urchin and give them some hope.

Dave B

OP
OP
o2manyfish

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To say I was upset by my Goldflake jumping from the tank would be an understatement.

But I was fortunate enough today to come across a new Goldflake. I almost bought a pair but used utmost self-control and settled with one.

Goldflake_2.jpg

Goldflake_1.jpg

She (assuming) is a tiny little thing. The girlfriend was extremely dissappointed that I bought a Goldflake angel that doesn't have blue lips. I told her patience.

The pics are taken while acclimating in a bucket, she ate Reef Nutrition Mysis Feast while in the bucket.

I put her in an acclimation box to see if any of the other angels, or damsels are going to cause any problems for her.

Dave B

fish2reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have done an amazing job documenting this journey; thebeautiful tank is the fruit of your hard work and determination.
I live in Miami FL and have been tempted to move my filtrationoutside; can you expand further into your current outdoor filtration set up?

OP
OP
o2manyfish

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tiny goldflake didn't make it. It was interested in food but just didn't eat enough, and at that size didn't last very long.

Just this afternoon I came across an Interruptus and a pair of Colini..... Absolute temptation. But am a little gun shy at the moment.

Dave B

bullitr1215

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tiny goldflake didn't make it. It was interested in food but just didn't eat enough, and at that size didn't last very long.

Just this afternoon I came across an Interruptus and a pair of Colini..... Absolute temptation. But am a little gun shy at the moment.

Dave B

where did you see an interruptus?

OP
OP
o2manyfish

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wanna Cry With Me....

So this was my last Full Tank Shot
FTS_June_13.jpg

On Tuesday morning at 3am my girlfriend took the dog out and noticed the outside sump overflowing. She woke me up and I can downstairs to find the tank a cloud with only about 6" visibility. The bottom of the tank was lined with dead tangs.

I went outside and found the sumps overflowing. My topoff had stuck on and added Kalkwasser to the tank for 7 hours. I have a double float switch, one measures the sump low, and a second measures if the water level goes to high. The switches are mounted inside a Black PVC pipe so that no snails and no algae can grow on them. Both switches coincidentally failed at the same time.

I did a 350g water change at 3am. The next morning the tank had almost zero visibility and the house smelled of dead fish. There were a scattering of carcasses in the tank. I had about 120 fish when the accident hit. There were still some clowns and Bangai cardinals moving about the tank. I did a 400g water change and added 5lbs of carbon.

While changing the water I was surprised to find 5 baby Bangai surviving in my outdoor rock sump.

Then after the water change I found another younger clutch of 3 Baby Bangai in the display tank.

Some of the fish which survived have surprised me. So far the survivors are 5 clowns, 5 Bangai, Orange Spotted Blenny, Mandarin Goby, Target Mandarin, Tail Spot Blenny, Several Firefish, Red Sea Regal, Blue Hippo, Chevron Tang, Dragon faced pipefish, a couple of damsels, Red Sea Regal and Multicolor angel. There may be more but the tank visibility has only reached the point where you could see the back of the tank today.

Fish loss between the display tank and the outside tanks is about 130 fish.

All the acros in the display tank are gone (about 126 pcs). The Montis are a mix there is about 50% tissue loss on them so far.

My LPS seem to be surviving but as a precaution I moved them to a friends tank for a week or so.

Zoa and Palys are a mixed some are open and some are closed and some are wilted.

Disaster_1.jpg

Disaster_2.jpg

Disaster_3.jpg

I do have an Apex, and it was busy emailing me in the middle of the night but I was asleep.

Lessons I learned. My Apex topoff was programmed for the float switches, now it is also programmed to shut off based on Salinity and pH.

Hopefully things will continue to clear up and in a couple of weeks I can start rebuilding. The girlfriend has decided that Hannukah gifts to each other this year is going to be limited to fish and corals... What a great girl!

Poriferan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tragic!!! I am glad to hear you do not want to quit. If I loose just 1 new fish my wife gets so upset she doesnt want any new ones for a long time.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 26.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 33 35.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 28 30.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back