Ocellaris&percula anemone

gastone

I dig chicks with rics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Mostly gigantea, magnifica and mertensii. Wouldn't consider any of them to be easy. Captive bred may take to a btas (e. Quadricolor). I've got three pairs that I'm hoping will take to a variety of cultivars of btas that just came in last night. Of course my gsm pair found the bta in about two seconds when the acclimation box detached and it got loose.

SudzFD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a mated pair of an ocellaris & percula clownfish. What anemone would host both? Also, would that anemone be easy to keep?
My ocellaris clowns have always hosted well with BTA’s. Bubble tips. Only exception is my two most recent tank raised clowns won’t host, but this is the first time I’ve seen that. I do have a wild caught ocellaris in the same tank hosting in a bubble tip.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m pretty sure carpets are the natural host.
My occy pair is hosted by a bta, and my perc lives in a toadstool leather. They aren’t picky.
Honestly, I’ve found my bta to be hardier than some of my corals; it’s done well with all sorts of param swings that have killed sps and lps.

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My ocellaris are hosted by my heater and a fox coral… No idea why.

My maroons each live in a different RBTA.

Clowns are weird and they make their own rules. I wouldn’t worry. They’ll choose a host.

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
According to Google, looks like that both clowns will host Magnificent Sea Anemone (H. magnifica), Giant Carpet Sea Anemone (S. gigantea), and Merten's Carpet Sea Anemone (S. mertensii) in the wild. I believe all of those are considered tough to keep. While not natural hosts, bubble tip and long tentacle anemones might be worth a shot given they are supposed to be easier to keep and because people have successfully gotten clowns to host them. I have an occillaris hosting a LTA in my 9 gallon tank.

chizerbunoi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have kept all 10 types of hosts or anemones and they have hosted all of them before. Go for the type that you prefer.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 111 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back