old reefer /new forum /new troubles

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome To R2R, I agree with @dbl one Hydra 52 is not enough.
I run 2 hydra 26 Hd's on my 48"L x 18 w x 21 D system and my coral growth really took off and with also changing my chemistry products that I am using. My old LED just did not have the intensity to keep my corals growing or even living. You have a great light, just get another an you will see the difference in two weeks. My setting are below
Hydra low.PNG
Hydra high.PNG

ksc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Hydra 52 is a very weak light, at only 90 watts @ 100%. It appears you are running it at only 50% and I'd doubt you are getting enough par in the center, let alone the sides of the tank. Here's some info on the par output:
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2013/8/review

JMacedo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Despite our parameters differ I cannot see that you are very off in terms of parameters. No3 could be a little lower but I have ran tanks with higher No3 than that. Last time I tried DD H2Ocean, some 4 years ago it ended in the bin as it was not approved by my corals but I heard it has improved since then.

Make sure you keep everything stable, if you skim wet, make sure you are not replacing the collected skimmate with just RO/DI water from the ATO that will impact all your parameters ( sorry, I am a freak about stability) time to time test for K, it should be around 400/410 for a salinity of 35ppt.

If you try to keep your Alk low, do not make water changes using a salt with a much higher Alk. Try to keep your parameters stable Ca 400-450? Mg 1460 -1520? Why such variation?

It is so hard to comment on other people tanks, I am always afraid I could be off. The fact that you are here trying to find what is going on is very positive and I am sure you will get things right rather sooner than later.

JMacedo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Hydra 52 is a very weak light, at only 90 watts @ 100%. It appears you are running it at only 50% and I'd doubt you are getting enough par in the center, let alone the sides of the tank. Here's some info on the par output:
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2013/8/review

In that article they compare the much weaker and older Hydra version, not the much better Hydra52.

I ran the old Hydras for about a year, growing SPS without big problem but didn't like the disco effect and the fact of having to replace some of the LED's almost every single month due to overheating issues.

Last edited:

JMacedo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will do very slow but would you expect low light to cause xenia to stay closed

Sorry, I am not trying to be mean. I never had Xenia, so I can't help about its reaction to increased light, having a mixed reef like yours is way more complicate than having a SPS tank. I hope I will never have xenia in my tank... it is like the plague! lol

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I am not trying to be mean. I never had Xenia, so I can't help about its reaction to increased light, having a mixed reef like yours is way more complicate than having a SPS tank. I hope I will never have xenia in my tank... it is like the plague! lol
I have xenia at the same level in my tank as acro and other SPS. around 500+ par. High exess nutrient and low flow yae they can get out of control. CLove polyps will do the same. Pretty easy to control,

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 25.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 48 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 13 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.8%
Back