Older Apex Questions

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Adamc13o3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I moved 3 years ago and broke down my tank. I have the Apex that basically looks like the latest version but doesn't have the internal wifi (I have to use an adapter). That being said I see so many new Neptune products that I want to purchase for my new build. I have a bunch of EB32's and every possible add on for my controller (that was available at the time). This is my serial number AC5:12529, I don't know if the serial number helps shed some lights on exactly which generation unit I have. I have a few questions regarding the old vs new.

Is the only difference in the main unit the internal wifi?

Do the cor pumps and sky lights have their own power cables, or can they be plugged directly into an EB32 like the Wav pumps did? I am asking because the less cords the better!

Will my older unit work with Mobius if I get the mobius module?

What limitations if any besides built in wifi does my older unit have?

Another question while I'm posting this, regarding the TRIDENT and DOS.

When using a trident with a DOS, does the trident actually automatically tell the DOS how much to dose in order to reach a set parameter, or is that done manually?

Thanks in advance,

Adam

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming your Apex is at least 3+ years old and assuming it doesn't have WiFi, it's probably the Apex classic (A1). WiFi was introduced in the (A2) controllers and carried over to the new (A3) controllers.

No, there are quite a few differences between the A1 «» A2 «» A3 models, including but not limited to: what probes are included/supported (A2/A3), optical ports (A3), etc.

The COR15 can be plugged into an EB832; the COR20 needs a separate power supply. SKY lights also need their own power supplies.

You'd have to contact Neptune to find out what modules/components would still be supported with your Apex. There have been umpteen software updates and other new modules introduced which may not be backwards compatible with your Apex.

With the DOS you set a starting amount and then configure it to use Trident-controlled dosing to stay within certain targets and parameters.

OP
OP
Adamc13o3

Adamc13o3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! now that echo tech products can integrate with Neptune using mobius, can I integrate the Trident to work with the scotch versa doing pumps the same way it would work with a dos?

Thanks again,

Adam

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lets start with identifying what version you have first. As @blaxsun said there are some major differences between the 1st gen Apex (classic) and A2/A3 models.

If it looks like this, it's a classic and your dead in the water with upgrades.

Apex-Base.jpg

If it looks like this, its a A2/A3 and you have options.

ApexEL-Controller-System-Neptune-Systems_07.jpeg

Also OP, I wouldnt post up that serial number online, the chance is nil but there are some folks out there that will take that and do something with it, like try to access your apex.

A2/A3's are fully supported module wise, A1 as I said above is discontinued and Neptune support is about kaput for it. Meaning none of the newer modules are supported and dont expect a lot of customer service besides 'you need to upgrade'.

Edit: Your serial # points to being in A2 model, your current.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 31.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back