OP
OP
Oldude

Oldude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on TOTM! BEAUTIFUL STICKS! Masterful Aquascape!
Thank you, since you commented on the aquascape here are a couple of pictures of the basic rockwork
before the majority of the corals went in to give you an idea of the canyons, caves & swim-throughs.
These were the test pieces including a much smaller Red Planet colony shown earlier. These pix were taken late last November
when I did my "do-over"
FTSscaping_zps1462aea4.jpg

DSC04467_zps84e4ca63.jpg

Last edited:

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greg - Could you give us a breakdown of how much you add of the Fauna Marine balling salts to your two-part solution (I'm referring to the ones that come in the three bottles)? Does one of them turn your solution totally brown?

Which type of color elements do you prefer to use?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Oldude

Oldude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
birdnest_zpsfefa2436.jpg

above - Bird of paridise
below - a. tenuis
fancybluetenuis_zps9b39c48e.jpg

hyacinthus
pinkhyacinthus_zpsd4d02ec1.jpg

Mutant prostrata
mutantprostrata_zpse3b1a9af.jpg

Reef Raft Canada Red Dragon
RRreddragon_zps0c81a4f8.jpg

Heliopora colony (top down) - not the prettiest color but the growth form is kind of cool.

blueridge_zpsd87186ca.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Oldude

Oldude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greg - Could you give us a breakdown of how much you add of the Fauna Marine balling salts to your two-part solution (I'm referring to the ones that come in the three bottles)? Does one of them turn your solution totally brown?

Which type of color elements do you prefer to use?
I add about 40-50 ML of each to about 10 gallons to the appropriate calcium mix & alk mix. It does not turn the solution brown. That said one of the balling salt mixes is brown out of the bottle but doesn't really discolor the solution mixture much. Interesting question about the color, why do you ask?

Regarding the color elements I use the three bottles from Fauna Marin - it comes as a package.

Last edited:

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I add about 40-50 ML of each to about 10 gallons to the appropriate calcium mix & alk mix. It does not turn the solution brown. That said one of the balling salt mixes is brown out of the bottle but doesn't really discolor the solution mixture much. Interesting question about the color, why do you ask?

Regarding the color elements I use the three bottles from Fauna Marin - it comes as a package.

For whatever reason, the elements in the calcium portion of my two-part stained my tubing and the bucket brown. Not sure why.

OP
OP
Oldude

Oldude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For whatever reason, the elements in the calcium portion of my two-part stained my tubing and the bucket brown. Not sure why.
What are you using for calcium & how pure is it? Several years ago when I used Dow flakes for example it was so impure that it always turned brown & left a greyish brown sludge. Is the calcium solution clear before you add the balling portion?

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you using for calcium & how pure is it? Several years ago when I used Dow flakes for example it was so impure that it always turned brown & left a greyish brown sludge. Is the calcium solution clear before you add the balling portion?

I use the medical grade quality two-part from BRS. I used to use the stuff from the pool supply store but stopped that several years ago.

The liquid straight out of the balling light bottle is actually light brown, I forget which bottle though. I'll check later tonight.

OP
OP
Oldude

Oldude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the medical grade quality two-part from BRS. I used to use the stuff from the pool supply store but stopped that several years ago.

The liquid straight out of the balling light bottle is actually light brown, I forget which bottle though. I'll check later tonight.
Okay if you are using the calcium chloride from BRS it is excellent quality so that isn't the issue. How much are you adding to the calcium and how brown are we talking about?

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay if you are using the calcium chloride from BRS it is excellent quality so that isn't the issue. How much are you adding to the calcium and how brown are we talking about?

I believe I was adding around 50mL to a 5 gallon batch. Only a tint of brown but it did stain parts of my tubing pretty dark brown.

Oscaror

Back In It
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want that red planet.
Just a little while until I can buy a frag!

OP
OP
Oldude

Oldude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe I was adding around 50mL to a 5 gallon batch. Only a tint of brown but it did stain parts of my tubing pretty dark brown.
I don't use clear tubing so for all I know mine might be stained too.

hatfielj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Planet is a great coral, it is a fast grower with great color and pretty much bullet proof.

I'll second that. I've had a colony of Red Planet in my brother in laws tank for years that has survived numerous tank crashes and years of general neglect. It even turned completely white once. But, as soon as you place it back in good conditions it will color right back up and start growing rapidly again. Its one of the most beautiful colonies I've seen as well. The red and green contrast gets better the bigger it is.

OP
OP
Oldude

Oldude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bullet proof in terms of acros.
More "marshmallow proof" :p
Red Planet is one of the most resilient corals I have had experience with over the years.

Wow, nice color!
Thank you - always a work in progress.

I loved that pink mille....my all time fav.
Thanks - it's one of my faves as well. That particular variety gets yellow corallites & growth tips for a sweet color contrast.

I'll second that. I've had a colony of Red Planet in my brother in laws tank for years that has survived numerous tank crashes and years of general neglect. It even turned completely white once. But, as soon as you place it back in good conditions it will color right back up and start growing rapidly again. Its one of the most beautiful colonies I've seen as well. The red and green contrast gets better the bigger it is.
I'll second your seconding. :smile:

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 51 75.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 8.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 8.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.5%
Back