OMG!!! Babies

sandie66

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the seahorses arrived about 9:00 this morning via USPS. I let the bags float around the tank for about 2 hours. I couldn't count them well. There was either 9 or 10, but they are tiny little boogers. With the exception of one, that was definitely pregnant. So after about 2 hours I let them go. I just happened to get up and check on them and I almost missed it, but he was in labor. Oh how wonderful it was. I tried to get some pictures, but they aren't that great. I can't even begin to count the babies, but so far they all look good and swimming around. I still can't believe I almost missed it. I actually caught it because when I went to check on them, I was like wait, I didn't have any that tiny when I let them go and sure enough he was pushing out more. I wish my daughter had seen it. She will be so disappointed when she gets home from school.

Crap I can't figure out how to put the pictures up here.

LegoZ81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[noparse]
photo.jpg
[/noparse]

KLR

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool! While I was in key largo, the boat driver on my snorkeling trip scooped up a seahorse from a seagrass bed, that he claimed had been stunned by an upside down jelly fish, and while it was in the glass jar,temporarily, babies started coming out of its pouch, I am not sure if stress cause a quicker birth/hatching process but I guess it is possible. Maybe the stress of shipping helped with the birth of yours? Just a thought, it could be completely false, hahah.

(The seahorses of that story were returned to the seagrass bed safely and were not out of their habitat for any longer than 15 minutes.)

OP
OP
S

sandie66

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I counted 15 babies. My daughter counted 14. My eye sight is getting so bad (age LOL!!) that I cam barely see anything at all without looking really good. My son was out all night, but I will ask him how to post pics tomorrow. Thanks guys!!!

BrooksReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep us updated! Let me know if you have questions about them!

What species are they?

OP
OP
S

sandie66

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are Dwarf. And from the looks of it we have another one in labor this morning. It was everything I could do just to get my daughter to go to school. She didn't want to miss another birth.

And all the babies from yesterday are still there and look great as well as all the adults. They were so happy to see the brine shrimp this morning. I had to put on magnifying glasses just to make sure that the eggs had hatched in the bottle and sure enough there are 1000s!! I am so happy. I just hope they continue to strive.

Keep us updated! Let me know if you have questions about them!

What species are they?

slugwall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow!!! Congrats! That must have been amazing to see your daughters eye's light up when you showed her!

LegoZ81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
to post a picture you need to upload it somewhere (photobucket, flicker, photoshop.com etc) where you can then obtain the address to the photo:
ex. [noparse]
image006.jpg
[/noparse]

you might also be able to use a the gallary here:
https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/members/sandie66-albums.html
If you click on this link and then enter your seahourse album there should be an "Upload Pictures" button you can click on.
once you have uploaded the pictures the will end up in pending and you will to edit the description if you choose to and make sure the correct album is selected then hit save changes.
then you can post in the thread by going into the album selecting the picture and looking for the BB Code to copy and paste into this thread.
Keep in mind you may have to resize the picture prior to upload as your do not have limitless space, and each file can only be so large. the size and number of pictures you can have loaded on this site increases if you are a supporting member.

OP
OP
S

sandie66

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you!!!

Seahorses pictures by sandie66 - Photobucket

to post a picture you need to upload it somewhere (photobucket, flicker, photoshop.com etc) where you can then obtain the address to the photo:
ex. [noparse]
image006.jpg
[/noparse]

you might also be able to use a the gallary here:
https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/members/sandie66-albums.html
If you click on this link and then enter your seahourse album there should be an "Upload Pictures" button you can click on.
once you have uploaded the pictures the will end up in pending and you will to edit the description if you choose to and make sure the correct album is selected then hit save changes.
then you can post in the thread by going into the album selecting the picture and looking for the BB Code to copy and paste into this thread.
Keep in mind you may have to resize the picture prior to upload as your do not have limitless space, and each file can only be so large. the size and number of pictures you can have loaded on this site increases if you are a supporting member.

bct15

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just post pictures from my pc using the post picture tool in the toolbar above the area you pretype the post...you just need to know the location of the picture on your puter, which is just the folder you saved them in. (the post picture tool looks like a little picture)

Congrats on the baby seahorses, very cool.

OP
OP
S

sandie66

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried that, but I kept getting an error message. The photobucket site worked well. The pictures are above.

I just post pictures from my pc using the post picture tool in the toolbar above the area you pretype the post...you just need to know the location of the picture on your puter, which is just the folder you saved them in. (the post picture tool looks like a little picture)

Congrats on the baby seahorses, very cool.

Hyprviperx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
where did you purchase these dwarf sea horses from? my girlfriend has been wanting a dwarf tank since we started reefing together but all the other fish and corals need too much flow for sea horses.

OP
OP
S

sandie66

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
www.ccritters.com I checked alot of sites, and they seemed to have the best prices. And there aren't too many places to actually get them.

where did you purchase these dwarf sea horses from? my girlfriend has been wanting a dwarf tank since we started reefing together but all the other fish and corals need too much flow for sea horses.

Back