On dealing with heat waves

DrewBR

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey R2R!

I expect most of you will be gearing up for the winter months worrying about the cold, but here in Brasil we are coming to our summer, and we got hit with a "delightful" heat wave. With temperatures going over 38°C (100°F) in some places and air conditioning being too expensive for a lot of people, that got me thinking about how I and other hobbyists deal with this extreme heat.

I've compiled here some things that seem to have worked in our favor and the methods most people have had success with. Please feel free to contribute with any insights.

The obvious best solutions

1 - Have actual air conditioning. For anyone who can afford it, controlling the environment around the tank is the obvious and best solution.

2 - Have an aquarium chiller. Expensive piece of equipment, but it works.

The underdogs

1 - Fans blowing across the water surface. Cheap, reasonably effective as long as the humidity isn't too high, and also very easy to set up and improvise with anything you already have. Does make the ATO water go down a lot faster. Great for nano and pico tanks.

2 - Peltier cells. In the realm of DIY chillers, it seems there is always someone with this idea in their mind. Effective for small tanks, but really unpractical for anything over 100-ish liters (25G).

3 - Water fountain DIY adaptations Some have managed to adapt the chilling mechanisms of water fountains to cool their tanks. Like the peltier cells, good on small tanks but very unpractical at any scale, plus, you gotta have a functioning water fountain just laying around.

4 - Good ol' frozen water bottle. As cheap as can be, very easy for anyone to apply to their tank. Bigger tanks will obviously require more bottles, and the returns are very diminishing. It does require replacing the bottles, so there is some labor involved.

Passive things that seem to help

Flow - With a lot of people losing coral, there seems to be a pattern that tanks with higher flow seem to take on the heat better than those with lower flow. It's my understanding that lower-temperature water does hold more oxygen, but it seems that is not the only thing at play here. Among the people I talked to, it seems the more flow your tank has, the better it takes to the heat, with some being completely fine even at 30°C (86°F) for extended periods of time.

Ideas that require testing

I've thought about running some water through perforated ceramic media that is exposed to a fan and the air, like a trickle filter but with air flow. The idea is that the increased surface area from the droplets on the ceramic media will help cool down the water, much like a fan blowing over the water surface.

mann1139

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One data point to throw out there.

I have an eggcrate top on my largest tank, but a glass top on my second-largest tank.

The difference at dissipating heat is significant. Even though the eggcrate tank is in a warmer room, its the glass-topped tank that I have to worry about.

OP
OP
DrewBR

DrewBR

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One data point to throw out there.

I have an eggcrate top on my largest tank, but a glass top on my second-largest tank.

The difference at dissipating heat is significant. Even though the eggcrate tank is in a warmer room, its the glass-topped tank that I have to worry about.
Good point!

We usually don't cover tanks with glass here. Most people do no cover or a nylon netting.

mann1139

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So basically it comes to evaporative cooling vs compressive.

If topping off water isn't an issue, for ing evaporation can do some.

If not, you have to chill the water itself.

Bob Weigant

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use fans. We only get a few weeks in the Bay Area where it can get pretty warm and my tank is in the garage. It'll get around 84 but doesn't last long. When I lived in Vegas I had to keep my tanks in the house with AC and did just fine

OP
OP
DrewBR

DrewBR

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So basically it comes to evaporative cooling vs compressive.

If topping off water isn't an issue, for ing evaporation can do some.

If not, you have to chill the water itself.
Yes, that's the gist of it, but there seem to be other factors that will improve on survivability for extended periods of hoter temperatures.

OP
OP
DrewBR

DrewBR

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use fans. We only get a few weeks in the Bay Area where it can get pretty warm and my tank is in the garage. It'll get around 84 but doesn't last long. When I lived in Vegas I had to keep my tanks in the house with AC and did just fine
I've been using fans with some success. They seem to be more efficient with open windows. I assume it's the air in the room getting saturated with humidity.

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 27 27.8%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 33 34.0%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 16 16.5%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 18 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back