Opinions on using biomedia/rocks from established tank in new tank

CRABDADDY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

I've got my 120g tank that's just finished cycling a few weeks back. It's going to be an sps dominant system. I'm currently weighing using some rock or biomedia from my established 40g tank to help accelerate the tanks development.

The only pests I have (that I know of) are some vermitid snails. I'm on the fence because I don't want to unnecessarily introduce unwanted organisms, but I figure things are going to get into the tank eventually. Surely I'll be adding frags from the smaller tank to the new tank.

Would love to hear some opinions from others that have done this before .

Pickle_soup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used my life rock from my 220 that I got rid of, and set up two qt tanks, one for corals and inverts, one for fish, plus my DT, not one of them had an ammonia spike. Fish qt, which is 20 gal had two good size tangs in it, so ammonia went up a bit, but nothing you would call a spike. I did add 4 days of Stabilize to help out a bit.

OP
OP
CRABDADDY

CRABDADDY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input. I have a small rock with some zoas I'm considering using in there. I'm hoping they are able to survive in the new tank, it's been up a month or so. I can also use some of the ceramic bio media from my overflows.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 39 45.9%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 25 29.4%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 15 17.6%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 5 5.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back