Options to raise Ph and Alkalinity in smaller tank?

DDenny

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My alkalinity over the last month or so has been right at 6.7-6.8 DKH and pH sitting at 7.5-7.7. Calcium is sitting at 420ppm I haven’t test magnesium but I can pick up a test kit to see where it’s at. Tank has been set up almost 6 months. I added a couple small frags over the course of a month and are the following.
1 Hammer
1 Torch
1 Acan
1 Favia (maybe)
1 Duncan
Some Zoa’s as well
I know they will use up alk and calcium but with a 25g lagoon (probably 15 total gallons) with rock and sand. Would the DIY #1 be the best option to increase alkalinity and pH? Open to other options if they would work better. ThAnna for the help.

moretor1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What salt are you using? That's oddly low ph for how high your calcium is

Are you dosing calcium by any chance?

Kalkwasser would raise kh and ph but you would have to monitor your calcium and not raise it too much or your inverts will have issues molting

OP
OP
DDenny

DDenny

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using Aquaforest reef salt. Not dosing anything. Usually do a water change every other week of 4 gallons.
Tested the new water and it measures 8.3 dKH, 440 Ca but never tested pH. Going to recalibrate my pH pen and see if that is the problem.

moretor1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using Aquaforest reef salt. Not dosing anything. Usually do a water change every other week of 4 gallons.
Tested the new water and it measures 8.3 dKH, 440 Ca but never tested pH. Going to recalibrate my pH pen and see if that is the problem.
yeah kalkwasser will raise your kh, just gotta do it slowly. i prefer to do ~1/3 the daily max once or twice a week to raise and once every week or two to maintain

just watch your calcium and dont let it get too high

OP
OP
DDenny

DDenny

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just recalibrated the pH pen and still getting pH of 7.6-7.7 this morning.
Sounds like I will have to bake some baking soda this afternoon and make a stock solution. I’m sure as I add more corals I will have to add part 2&3 down the road. Thanks moretor1 for you help.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would start with kalk when your demand increases. It will give the greatest ph boost per alk added but will not see much difference at low dosing rates

GARRIGA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carbon dosing will raise alkalinity by returning the base lost during nitrification being tossed out with every water change. Might slightly drop pH but that will be temporary until tank equalizes with room air. No affect on calcium. I'd do this before running supplements that will alter likely other parameters not easily fixed by water changes such as raising sodium.

OP
OP
DDenny

DDenny

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Open a window and recheck ph in an hour.
It will go up .2-.3. This will tell you if you ph pen is working.
Do this before adjusting anything.
Any 2 part can raise alk.
Opening a window not really an option it’s over 80 degrees in the mornings at 6am and 98 by 11am or so. Here lately. I did open windows in the winter time and did see a slight jump but window were open all day as the highs temps were 67-70. South Texas summer starts in February hahahaha

OP
OP
DDenny

DDenny

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s what I did this morning I have a 4, 7, and 10 solution and they all read spot on to .1 higher then the stated pH of the calibration. Went ahead a Rand the calibration mode again to be on the safe side. Might borrow a friends probe to check this afternoon or by a pH test kit just to have on hand.

GARRIGA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s what I did this morning I have a 4, 7, and 10 solution and they all read spot on to .1 higher then the stated pH of the calibration. Went ahead a Rand the calibration mode again to be on the safe side. Might borrow a friends probe to check this afternoon or by a pH test kit just to have on hand.
That’s how I calibrate my probe although need to order some 4. I’d focus on first fixing alkalinity.

OP
OP
DDenny

DDenny

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s how I calibrate my probe although need to order some 4. I’d focus on first fixing alkalinity.
Thinking if I fix the alkalinity the pH will fix itself (I would hope it would) everything seems fine in the tank so I also don't want to be chacing numbers either.

GARRIGA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking if I fix the alkalinity the pH will fix itself (I would hope it would) everything seems fine in the tank so I also don't want to be chacing numbers either.
My approach has always been to first fix the foundation. In your case might raise the pH or might not but best eliminate what might be causing an issue.

I’m similar in that it’s hot and humid outside. Ventilating the captured co2 not an option. My only solution was a Fuge which raised my pH and stabilized my dkh although bottomed my nitrates which is easily fixed by adding more or subscribing to the heavy in and heavy out approach.

Adding chemicals works but then like taking any medication. Side affects might cause new issues.

An ATS or Fuge might solve your pH without the balancing act of using chemicals. Although going to need to replenish iron and other elements. Every fix has its side affects. I’m just more comfortable adding more iron.

OP
OP
DDenny

DDenny

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My approach has always been to first fix the foundation. In your case might raise the pH or might not but best eliminate what might be causing an issue.

I’m similar in that it’s hot and humid outside. Ventilating the captured co2 not an option. My only solution was a Fuge which raised my pH and stabilized my dkh although bottomed my nitrates which is easily fixed by adding more or subscribing to the heavy in and heavy out approach.

Adding chemicals works but then like taking any medication. Side affects might cause new issues.

An ATS or Fuge might solve your pH without the balancing act of using chemicals. Although going to need to replenish iron and other elements. Every fix has its side affects. I’m just more comfortable adding more iron.
its an all in one and I have an ATO the keeps the system at 35ppt salinity. Wish I had a larger tank woth sump there is so much more you can do with a sump.

GARRIGA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its an all in one and I have an ATO the keeps the system at 35ppt salinity. Wish I had a larger tank woth sump there is so much more you can do with a sump.
Don't need a sump. I'm likely running chaeto in my middle chamber on my IM 15 with their ChaetoMax. Own both. Just need to find a stand. Ran a HOB with that ChaetoMax on 20g although wasn't fond of the HOB clogging and water potentially over spilling on the back. Let me go find a pic.

GARRIGA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_2705.jpeg

Back