Orange dragon breath algae?

-JoJoReefing-

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Anyone has ever seen dragon breath algae that is alive but in pure bright orange color? Looks like a mutation in my tank, feels softer than normal dragon breath, it is not dying or melting away, keeps that color for more than 6 months now, and grow from a tiny bit portion to currently three big balls.

Got some input from local reefers that it could be high carotenoids concentration from strong lighting, but it is interesting to see most of my normal dragon breath frags remain red. And did not see signs of reverting to normal red color.

Wanna name it as JJF dragon flame algae haha!

IMG_5355.jpeg
IMG_5354.jpeg

Doctor Derp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my regular dragons breath does this also under strong blue lighting. You don't have anything special here sir.

OP
OP
-JoJoReefing-

-JoJoReefing-

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
my regular dragons breath does this also under strong blue lighting. You don't have anything special here sir.
Oh is it entirely orange in your case? Would you mind sharing a picture? Mine is having totally different color from the normal dragon breath, you can see the rest red dragon breath are just red in the same refugium.
IMG_5559.jpeg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 24.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 50 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 29.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.7%
Back