Overwhelmed with ich

sarinaruu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it’s been two months since my fish got ich. i’ve lost most of my favorite fish, and i’m overwhelmed with treating them.

i cycled my old tank and managed to catch my 7 remaining fish. my plan is to leave tank to fallow for 45 days, while treating with hypo or possibly copper.

it’s so stressful being a water keeper and making sure everything is safe, and heart breaking taking my goby from her shrimp and my clowns from their nems. wish me luck though.

Debramb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m soo sorry you’ve lost your favorite fish, I love all the fish! I have learned here via the fish medics….. no copper in the main display, only Quarantine tank, w/hypo-salinity, you can’t leave inverts, and fallow is 60-79 days! I’ve read from so many of our fellow “water” keepers about fighting diseases, I haven’t added anything for 3 or 4 years! I’m focused on good nutrition because we’re upgrading from a 100Gt to a 125 GLong. This is just to prepare for the transfer! So many people are with you on this and have come through the other side! Hang in and keep updating!
Your fellow
Debra

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
it’s been two months since my fish got ich. i’ve lost most of my favorite fish, and i’m overwhelmed with treating them.

i cycled my old tank and managed to catch my 7 remaining fish. my plan is to leave tank to fallow for 45 days, while treating with hypo or possibly copper.

it’s so stressful being a water keeper and making sure everything is safe, and heart breaking taking my goby from her shrimp and my clowns from their nems. wish me luck though.
Sorry to hear. Go instead of 45 minimum to 60 days fallow and Treat fish with Coppersafe or Copper Power at therapeutic level 2.25-2.5 For a FULL 30 days (do not interrupt this 30 day period) monitored by a reliable Copper Test kit such as Hanna Brand- No API brand. Also monitor Ammonia levels while in quarantine with a reliable test kit and add aeration during treatment using an air stone.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on what @vetteguy53081 said - for tanks with severe infections of ich, you may need to go 60 days, especially if the tank temperature is below 81 F. Coppersafe / Copper Power at 2.5 ppm for 30 days is the best treatment. If you need biological filtration for your treatment tank, you can use biomedia from your display (just not calcium rock or sand).

Jay

OP
OP
sarinaruu

sarinaruu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on what @vetteguy53081 said - for tanks with severe infections of ich, you may need to go 60 days, especially if the tank temperature is below 81 F. Coppersafe / Copper Power at 2.5 ppm for 30 days is the best treatment. If you need biological filtration for your treatment tank, you can use biomedia from your display (just not calcium rock or sand).

so you’d go straight for copper and not try hypo? id really like to reuse some of the equipment someday but i know it’s a risk

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
so you’d go straight for copper and not try hypo? id really like to reuse some of the equipment someday but i know it’s a risk
Copper, yes. While hypo can be effective, it can also be stressful to certain fish

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have calcareous material in the tank, you’ll want to go with hyposalinity, not copper. Sorry, I misunderstood what you were doing.

Jay

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 50 20.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 177 72.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.9%
Back