Painting tank decorations

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a large stag colony that I lost due to AEFWs and rather than just chucking it i figure it will make a good hitch for a seahorse tank and might help to color them up. I want to paint it so it won't grow algae as easily and it will be easier to clean when algae does grow on it. I have access to automotive finishes but not sure if they would be reef safe. I want something that will be more durable than a rattle can paint job, anyone have any ideas on what would be best to use?

OP
OP
gar732

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll look into that and see what I can find. Thanks for the suggestion.

What I like about the base clear paint job is that it has a hardener which would make it more durable just not sure if it would leach anything though.

Paul_N

MOD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly if algae is going to grow on it, paint won't slow it or stop it. I have had coral die and the coralline algae starts growing on it.

OP
OP
gar732

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figure the smooth clear coat will slow the algae down a bit and make it easier to clean.

Viva'sReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I think his logic is that it will seal/smooth up the porous skeleton of the dead Stag where hair algae would easily take hold

ficklefins

Super Duper Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the idea, but I think you will still have to deal with the fragile nature of a dead coral skeleton. Even if you paint it, it won't reinforce the skeleton so you will have to be rather cautious when scrubbing it clean.

As a side note, if you leave the dead skeleton out to get totally white it will make a great office or bookshelf decoration.

Viva'sReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
As a side note, if you leave the dead skeleton out to get totally white it will make a great office or bookshelf decoration.

That's usually what I do with the larger ones...I do a 25% bleach/ 75% water mix and bleach it as well. Gets it really white

xmetalfan99

Let's Go Mountaineers!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The paint will come off your decorations anyway due to the salt. I wouldn't bother painting the coral and just throw it in your tank.

OP
OP
gar732

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think his logic is that it will seal/smooth up the porous skeleton of the dead Stag where hair algae would easily take hold

Exactly and it will clean up easier also. Another reason is that I wanted to paint them bright colors to try and get the seahorses to color up.

OP
OP
gar732

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the idea, but I think you will still have to deal with the fragile nature of a dead coral skeleton. Even if you paint it, it won't reinforce the skeleton so you will have to be rather cautious when scrubbing it clean.

You're right about that but I wanted to give it a shot anyway and see if I can get them to last.

OP
OP
gar732

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The paint will come off your decorations anyway due to the salt. I wouldn't bother painting the coral and just throw it in your tank.

That's why I wanted to use automotive paints or epoxy. Because the coral is very porous the paint should adhere well and the fact that it has a hardener will make it very durable and it shouldn't go anywhere. I have some viper red paint that I was thinking about using, I'm just not sure if the automotive paints would be reef safe.

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 8 17.0%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 16 34.0%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 10 21.3%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 13 27.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back