PAR during lighting switch

TheSheff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I am going to be switching from (2) T5's + (2) Kessil A160's to (3) Quanta Pro LED Bars and I am working on how I am going to keep the PAR as close to the same as possible. PAR Meters are very expensive and I cannot find anyone that would let me borrow their meter, so couldn't I theoretically use a cheaper PAR Meter from amazon even if it is not accurate and make sure that number is the same with the new lighting, since I already know my corals are acclimated to this current PAR? Hopefully this makes sense. Thank you!

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you have LFS's in your area? Many of them rent the PAR meter, check with them.

Another method is the iphone par meter, I think it costs a few dollars and not 100% accurate, but good enough to give you good idea.

OP
OP
TheSheff

TheSheff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you have LFS's in your area? Many of them rent the PAR meter, check with them.

Another method is the iphone par meter, I think it costs a few dollars and not 100% accurate, but good enough to give you good idea.
None of the LFS's are willing to do that lol. Do you agree that I dont necessarily have to measure "par" as long as the number is the same when I switch lights? What about this meter? https://shorturl.at/fgPX4

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
None of the LFS's are willing to do that lol. Do you agree that I dont necessarily have to measure "par" as long as the number is the same when I switch lights? What about this meter? https://shorturl.at/fgPX4

Well sort of.
Here is the issue, when using a lux meter if the light spectrums are very different you have a problem.
A heavy blue light and say a 6500k daylight light may have the same lux but very different par. The blue heavy light will have much higher par even though they've the same lux measurements as a white heavy light.
This pic shows various lux meters and their spectral response.
Screenshot_20230902-035815.png

Then there is a matter of how different lights disperse the light. Wider? Narrower?

So I agree that you could but it isn't easy.

The BRS " rental" program isn't too expensive

Last edited:

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get the photone App and a waterproof case for your phone on Amazon. There is a Youtube guy who tested it and it came extremely close to an apogee results.

This will cost you 20$.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 71 47.7%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 48 32.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back