Par values.

TriniSalty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys.
See the attached pic. Are my Par values too high? Put in a couple of frags a few days ago and turned on the light for the first time. My tank was cycled fishless and I’ve have a couple of clowns for about 2 weeks now in the dark. After only 5 days of turning on the light. I’m starting to notice the brown appearing on a few spots of rock. What can I do?

Are my par values too high? Have 1 branching Duncan and 1 gap in there now

1704821298730.jpeg

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn't look too high. Are the corals happy? That's all that really matters. Algae growth is an unfortunate but completely normal part of almost every single new system. Add some cleanup crew to help out!

musaabi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Your rocks will grow algae no matter what. Clean up crew and some utilitarian fish to help keep things clean. Think of your rock work as “growing life”. Right now it’s just algae and bacteria. Add pods, different strains of bacteria, and maybe use other live rock to introduce more life. As the rock ages and grows more life it’ll get darker. Eventually you’ll have coralline algae growing over all your rock. Don’t rush it. Algae will grow from the smallest amount of light so don’t stress. Unless your nutrients are super high and you’re getting hair algae none stop, I wouldn’t worry about your lighting. You could always take some white light out as well to slow algae growth.

OP
OP
T

TriniSalty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your rocks will grow algae no matter what. Clean up crew and some utilitarian fish to help keep things clean. Think of your rock work as “growing life”. Right now it’s just algae and bacteria. Add pods, different strains of bacteria, and maybe use other live rock to introduce more life. As the rock ages and grows more life it’ll get darker. Eventually you’ll have coralline algae growing over all your rock. Don’t rush it. Algae will grow from the smallest amount of light so don’t stress. Unless your nutrients are super high and you’re getting hair algae none stop, I wouldn’t worry about your lighting. You could always take some white light out as well to slow algae growth.
Thank you. I added 4 hermits and a snail. Was not planning to get a Tang because it will outgrow the tank. Any suggestions on other fish? I have about 40 gallons of display. 23 X 18 X 23

musaabi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you. I added 4 hermits and a snail. Was not planning to get a Tang because it will outgrow the tank. Any suggestions on other fish? I have about 40 gallons of display. 23 X 18 X 23
For a 40 gallon I would get a bigger clean up crew. You can get a pencil of tuxedo urchin but wait until you get more algae growth as those guys devour it.

For fish, you can prob get away with lawnmower blenny. Several other fish eat algae not just tangs!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back