Peak Photo Period - Stony Corals

What is your photo period at minimum 75% peak output?

• Total voters

Palting

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run 150W 10K metal halides from 1PM to 9PM. Actinic HO T5's start 15 minutes earlier and end 15 minutes later. LED moonlights run from 8PM to MN.

The tank is an SPS dominant reef. SPS love light, and the one's in my tank have had excellent growth. IMO, the 8 hours of MH light contribute significantly to their growth. Here is one example, photos are worth a thousand words.

Fresh from the LFS:
attachment.php

3 months:
attachment.php

3 years:
attachment.php

4 years:
attachment.php

scardall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How does nature lighting change? Ramp up to full spectrum and ramping down at the end of the day. Plus what ever changes the weather makes . So all in all is do what works for you. I would like to emulate nature if I can.

erk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I light my reef with a DIY LED setup from RapidLED. I control the LEDs with an Arduino. So the blues come on and ramp up to 35% over 2 hrs, then whites ramp up to 25% over 1 hr, then blue and white on for 4 hrs, then ramp down is same as ramp up. Whites then blues. I get awesome growth from this. Only problem I have is stabilizing my parameters. They are mostly stable now, so I am seeing corals start to grow again. I also get very vibrant coloring. Just wish I could get my dosing pumps programmed with my Arduino, then it would be easier to keep control over my parameters.

puffer420

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only run all my lights for about 3 hrs a day should I run them longer t5 run for 12 hrs one halide for 7 hrs and two other halides for 3 hrs.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 109 73.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back