Pectoral fin damage while in QT

reef tank 2.0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paint a picture here

2 clown fish, and 1 Molly miller blenny in a bare bottom QT. They have been in this tank for 7 days. They were at the LFS for a minimum of 2 weeks before I bought them, in which they were medicated with copper. Everyone eating and swimming like normal. Came to check up on them and noticed the tips of the both clown's pectoral fins seem to be nipped. The tail fin seems to be I good condition. Blenny scoots around like normal too. I haven't fed them today, yet. But haven't had eating issues prior to. Behavior seems normal

I am not medicating the QT, simply observing.

Bare bottom, pvc pipes for hiding. 0 ammonia, tank is not cycled. 1-2 gallon water change each day to make sure no food is left over. 78 degree temps, salinity 1.025.

I can't get a picture, the fish are way too small and won't quit moving for a Kodak moment.

Not quite sure what this means, if anything.

Hmmmmmm. Sitting here observing....I noticed the blenny was going after one of the clowns. Might be nothing but the blenny is definitely being more active than normal.

OP
OP
reef tank 2.0

reef tank 2.0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I decided to feed them a little early.
I fed them pellets tonight. Really small pellets soaked in selcon. They'll take them in, then spit them out . They're both doing it. They've dodged all of them. I tried crushed flake food, same think. Take in, spit out, dodge the rest. Last night they were doing the same thing to the frozen mysis. I didn't think much of the music issue, for the fact that some of them were bigger than their mouths. I did see them go after really small pieces.

Prior to tonight, they were eating like normal. All of them. The blenny is hiding but I can only assume he's eating. He scurries around really quick.

This might have nothing to do with the fin issue, but I'm certainly on high alert now

OP
OP
reef tank 2.0

reef tank 2.0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe they are eating, but what they choose to eat is so dang small. They're certainly going after everything. They spit out or avoid.

So let's assume they're behavior is normal, and eating is fine.

Fin concerns?

OP
OP
reef tank 2.0

reef tank 2.0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe the blenny is nipping cause the clowns are to close to his home. Hard to say. The clowns are acting no different than normal though. Yo yo-ing around

OP
OP
reef tank 2.0

reef tank 2.0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and now thinking more into it........its certainly not a fin rot, like a disease. but more like pieces of the fin are gone / nipped away. Looking at the clowns today, they are definitely on separate sides of the 29 gallon QT tank. maybe they're having a domestic violence episode. Obviously the blenny is not acting as the town Sheriff.

As for feeding, I was talking to the LFS, he tends to think maybe they just wern't hungry. maybe stuffed from the night before?? I bought a new frozen food to give them a variety, maybe that will help. we'll see how it goes tonight.

I'll continue to observe.

OP
OP
reef tank 2.0

reef tank 2.0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am 99% certain that this issue is revolved around the two clownfish's aggression towards each other. The one clownfish that had the worse of the fin damage, was on the opposite side of the tank from the other clown. I didn't expect him to make it too much longer, he stopped eating a couple days ago, obviously stressed. Looking rather skinny too.

I decided to dose the tank with Prazipro last night hoping there was a chance that might solve any issues. Before dosing the Prazi, I did a 75% water change. set up an air stone, and walked away.

Went in and checked the tank this morning, sure enough, that clown died.

I am hoping that there is a chance that I can return the remaining clown for a store credit. I don't want this remaining clown to go after any other clown I bring into the tank. If not, then I'm not sure how to handle this.
But I will play it safe as I have with my last tank. I'll get a cheaper pair of traditional clowns and hope for the best.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 53 74.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 9.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 8.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back