Pest ID? Baby snail that's about half the size of a pea.

Probiesmasher

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty strong shell, and didn't move when i nudged with tweezers. Good bro or bad bro?

PXL_20230204_003222666.MP.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Probiesmasher does it have a hole at the top? The black dot looks like a hole, if so it could be a keyhole limpet which are not reef safe.
This is not entirely true. There are tiny ones that are technically keyholes but are completely reef safe

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
This is not entirely true. There are tiny ones that are technically keyholes but are completely reef safe
Probably true Erin, I'd just defer to what Reef Cleaners says to be safe. Others like you or @ISpeakForTheSeas may be able to identify further, but without more readily available online info specifying the taxonomy of different keyhole limpets, i would default to it isn't safe.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably true Erin, I'd just defer to what Reef Cleaners says to be safe. Others like you or @ISpeakForTheSeas may be able to identify further, but without more readily available online info specifying the taxonomy of different keyhole limpets, i would default to it isn't safe.
I've heard the claim of some keyholes eating SPS corals before, but I don't think I've seen anyone actually be able to verify that claim (though there are enough species of limpet out there that it wouldn't surprise me if some did eat SPS). That said, as mentioned at the end of my quote below, with limpets of any kind, I would assume they are safe until proven otherwise.
Normal limpets are totally fine, but there's some speculation about Keyhole Limpets possibly eating SPS corals. If yours is a keyhole limpet (which it looks like it may be, but the photo is too grainy for me to tell you for certain), I don't know that anyone has actually confirmed that they eat SPS (much like how people believe "Asterinas" - actually Aquilonstra - stars might eat their corals: it might be a species specific thing, it might be a you have way too many starfish so they're out of other food options thing, it might be they're eating the slime coat/mucus on the coral rather than the coral itself, or they might just opportunistically eat unhealthy corals).

If it has a little "keyhole" or bullet hole looking hole on the back of it's shell (where the shell comes to a point) then it's a keyhole limpet.

Personally, I'd assume keyhole limpets are probably safe, but I know a lot of people would rather play it completely safe and not take the risk.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, I don't recommend going to reef cleaners for ANYTHING, let alone their website descriptions, but that's a discussion for another time

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 148 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back