pH and Alk

snobby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so i recently tested my tank and im getting 13.4 dKH and low ph somewhere between 7.6 and 7.8
i know i need my pH to be higher but if i start dosing to raise my pH will my alk be too high?
i am trying to raise the pH in other ways i.e. more ventilation in the room and such but not having much of an affect and i do have reef buffer from seachem but some guidance would be greatly appreciated before i do anything. thanks!

Seagre1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why are you running your alk so high? It's too high lower it to 8-9 and your PH might stabilise. If it doesn't consider dosing to raise the PH. My alkalinity sits at 8.0dkh and my PH is always 8.1-8.4. Opening windows and such rarely has a great impact on it just helps a little if I where you I'd lower your alk before trying to raise PH.

Lemons

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you totally sure of those numbers? IE, have you recently calibrated your pH probe/ verified your ALK reading with another test kit?

Also for gas exhange are you using a skimmer? Do you have that skimmer going through a CO2 scrubber? How much surface agitation does your tank have?

Finally what size of tank are we talking here? And does it have a heavy fish bioload?

Also any product that claims to raise pH without rasing alk, are false claims. So i wouldnt use any buffer

Lemons

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And also when in doubt do a WC, most freshly mixed salt water comes out to about 8.3ish

OP
OP
S

snobby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
currently i dont dose anything to my tank other than NO3:pO4-X to lower nitrate so all of my levels are coming straight from my weekly water changes using the red sea coral pro salt, its a red sea nano max peninsula so its 100L total, running a protein skimmer without a scrubber just the basics at the moment. The return pump is creating water agitation but i can move it so that it causes more if needed, have 2 clowns a royal gramma and a cleaner shrimp. using the red sea alk test kit but have not compared it to others but it has been consistent with its readings. i should also mention that it is a newer tank about 4 months old.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chemicals sold to hobbyists as "buffers" are just carbonate/bicarbonate which raises alkalinity. Don't add any of that.

pH in our tanks is only a product of alkalinity and CO2. There is nothing else to it.

I agree about making sure you have recently calibrated your pH probe.

The other thing I will add is that a lot of reefers don't even measure pH.

Osbie Feel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like the salt mix you are using claims to mix at 12 dKH, so you're reading isn't too far out of line, but I would still consider getting a second opinion.

When did you test your pH? It can fluctuate a lot throughout the day, being lowest just before lights on and highest sometime before lights off, as photosynthesis uses the CO2 in the water.

The ways to raise pH (that I have seen) are as follows:
  • Get more outside air into the tank, either through the skimmer or just with an air stone. YMMV
  • Use CO2 scrubbing media, preferably using outside air and recirculated through your skimmer. Effective but expensive.
  • A refugium on a reverse lighting cycle can dampen the daily fluctuation in pH so that it doesn't drop as low at night. YMMV as your tank may not need a refugium so large that it affects pH very much.
  • Does high pH additives such as hydroxides. Unavoidably these will increase alkalinity which may not be desirable.
Oh, and do you run a skimmer?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 13.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 96 57.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 7.2%
Back