Ph help!!

Eric B

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not chase ph number and I would not dose anything for it as mine fluctuates from mid 7's to low 8's depending on time of year. You can try ventilating the room as it is probably dropping from excess co2 levels. You can also run the skimmer suction outside for fresh air or use a co2 scrubber and soda lime. As long as your Calcium, Alk & Mag are in line I really never worry about ph level. Also you can try re calibrating your probe or swapping probes to see if that might be giving you a false reading.

jayhawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chasing ph is going to drive you mad. If you keep you Alkalinity, Calcium, and Magnesium stable, ph will be in line. If after stabilizing and ph is lower than you want, it will likely be low oxygen levels in the water. You can increase oxygen with increasing the airflow in the room your tank is in or direct air at the tank. A fan will do the trick.

ReeferRookie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chasing ph is going to drive you mad. If you keep you Alkalinity, Calcium, and Magnesium stable, ph will be in line. If after stabilizing and ph is lower than you want, it will likely be low oxygen levels in the water. You can increase oxygen with increasing the airflow in the room your tank is in or direct air at the tank. A fan will do the trick.
good advise listen to.it

OP
OP
Xbreakxitxdownx

Xbreakxitxdownx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My ph goes from 7.64-7.8 I have tried adding r/o right to my ro/di water nothing... I don't wanna add fish if I can't get it right

Trex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like others have mentioned, test your Cal, Alk, and Mag levels --- and post them. Once those levels are at their proper levels the pH should take of itself.

BTW -- where do you live? Or better yet, are your windows closed and the A/C on?

Trex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the actual numbers for Cal, Alk, and Mag --- knowing the numbers, as opposed to "good" is the only way that we can help.

Bluelobstor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All good advice, but you can also try increasing surface agitation to help with gas exchange, add some plants via a refugium as they like CO2, and you could go the expense of an ozone device to help keep oxygen levels at saturation and to help breakdown organics.

Reef Junky150

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
uploadfromtaptalk1409768774442.jpg
doesn't have to be fancy

Redseadragon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well if you really want to keep your pH locked in at 8.3 buy a dosing pump and dose sodium hydroxide with the pH controlling. Make sure to use a small amount so that you will not overdose if probe fails to read correctly and doesn't turn off the pump. *this is what I do for my nano because it has large pH swings day/night that are not healthy.

OP
OP
Xbreakxitxdownx

Xbreakxitxdownx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to get a dosing pumps or mag, cal, ph, kh any recommendations? Also what is this going on my rock? Looks like fungi
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1409770011.028104.jpg

Bluelobstor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't tell from that pic can u take a better one. Refugium just needs dsb, live rock, lights, and macros with proper water flow and +1 to running it on a reverse daylight photo period. There is nothing wrong with dosing but that really just covers up the problem, would be cheaper to get to the route of the problem and fix it.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 95 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back