iamacat

Higher than my pH
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_8794.jpeg
IMG_8793.jpeg

Digi is starting to expand its base and today the green is starting to pop in.

dKH remained stable for 24hrs. Tested 8.7 this AM

OP
OP
iamacat

iamacat

Higher than my pH
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been reading non stop about Vermetid snails the past week. It’s gone hand in hand with my ULN fixes which is why the Plus NP appeals to me as I try to starve out these snails. What I have come to conclude is that my best path forward is to implement Coral Snow. I order Calcium Carbonate to achieve the effect instead of overpaying for the KZ product.

while observing all these snails currently infesting my system I have noticed the increasing number of aiptasia. Ever since 2010 starting a tank I had NEVER had a single aiptasia in my system. The only nuisances I have had in all my years was green hair at the start using tap, bubble algae once in 2015, and cyano off and on a couple times. None of these were difficult to remedy. These snails tho are a real turd since being introduced to them a few months ago. I guess I have been very fortunate. I will be continuing to document my vermetid snail treatment.

OP
OP
iamacat

iamacat

Higher than my pH
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I was hoping to film them in the act, but they did the deed while I was whipping up a scrumdiddlyumptious dinner.
IMG_8806.jpeg

chicken Al pastor with street corn salad.

IMG_8813.png

IMG_8814.png

I expect these babies to disappear Sunday night. I remember setting this lepto plug in a fat hole and not using glue. I am hoping I can simply pull it out with the fertilized eggs attached once I’m ready to raise the fry. Sometimes she attaches them all to the main piece, other times she goes off the mark

OP
OP
iamacat

iamacat

Higher than my pH
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My dKH has stabilized with the AFR at 18mL/day. 8.6, 8.7, 8.8, 8.7 in the past 4 days, no SA added

unfortunately my pH has taken a dive and that concerns me. I’ve been looking to get it to 8.3 and now that is the opposite as I’m getting apex alarms in the morning of 7.8.

since starting this system my pH has run 7.9-8.2+ with a icecap small CO2 scrubber attached. When I purchased this scrubber I expected my pH to go up but that wasn’t the case, I assumed that maybe it was just keeping it 7.9-8.2 because my tank was in the basement and I live in a colder climate and a small zoo in my home.

when I set this up the only instructions I could find were a BRS video and they connect the skimmer intake to the outer port of the scrubber which pulls from the open bottom compartment where water is to reside. Now this seemed incorrect back then but I went with it because I didn’t really know. After 2 years of use I have never had colored media. I have changed the media at the 4month mark because I figured it had to be. This took me too long to figure out and that bothers me. I let this just go without critically thinking about it

fast forward to now and I’m analyzing everything. Looking into the scrubber again I find other reefers have it hooked up to the middle port, however it is a mixed result with some others following the BRS set up. I’m a little smarter now and there is no way the correct set up is to pull from the outer port.

the water is added to the lower chamber to humidify the media. If the air is being pulled down through the media to the water, the media isn’t getting humidified, well that just doesn’t t make any sense!

so I sent BRS an email and they agreed. Now I have my scrubber set up correctly in my mind. Frustrated that this was difficult to find info on and that info was incorrect. I still feel dumb that I let this go for so long. It makes clear sense now, just didn’t have the balls to go against an instructional video untill now after not getting the results expected

Attachments

• IMG_8818.jpeg
    IMG_8818.jpeg
    112.5 KB · Views: 25
OP
OP
iamacat

iamacat

Higher than my pH
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_8841.jpeg
IMG_8842.jpeg
IMG_8843.jpeg
IMG_8844.jpeg
IMG_3711.gif

Tonight begins my Vermetid snail battle with some calcium carbonate of which I will continue for 30 days
IMG_8845.jpeg

To take out my frustrations I will be smashing these turds one section at a time over the next month.
IMG_3995.gif

OP
OP
iamacat

iamacat

Higher than my pH
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_8858.jpeg

I’ve noticed some improved coloration in a couple of corals. The Torch has gotten purple back in the tips and it has had some periods of increased extension. The Mystic Sunset monti has a bright hue as well.
I’ve been dosing the Plus NP for about a week now, testing still shows 0’s but that’s not uncommon at this stage.
dKH-8.3
Ca- 495
Mag-1325
1/2tsp SA, iodide, Coral Colors dosed
pH-7.95 increased to 8.17 after SA
AFR increased to 20mL/day

OP
OP
iamacat

iamacat

Higher than my pH
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pH-7.9
dKH-8.7

CO2 scrubber change has not made a bit of difference other than not reaching the 7.8s. Not sure what to make of that. Could possibly have something to do with my nutrients bottoming out, possibly stopping the Prodibio. It’s got me looking at changing my dosing. The AFR has been ultra consistent but it’s not giving any pH boost. I’ve looked into the Kalk but don’t want to have that whole rig set up. So I’m leaning towards decreasing the AFR and adding Sodium Hydroxide from Randy’s 2part recipe to generate a pH boost. I’m going to continue to monitor tho and see how the system balances out over the next couple weeks. I want to see if the pH returns to the 8-8.27 range on its own. This started before the Calcium Carbonate at night and I am not seeing any effect on my pH when adding that to the system

OP
OP
iamacat

iamacat

Higher than my pH
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_8862.png
IMG_8861.png
IMG_8860.png

Makes little sense to me as we have had open windows since May 1 with the improved weather here. The pH has trended lower and lower while I have added the SA to improve the Alk while balancing the AFR and corrected the CO2 scrubber intake.

it’s like I am having the opposite effects of what should be happening. I must be missing something. If anyone can chime in that would be appreciated

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_8858.jpeg

I’ve noticed some improved coloration in a couple of corals. The Torch has gotten purple back in the tips and it has had some periods of increased extension. The Mystic Sunset monti has a bright hue as well.
I’ve been dosing the Plus NP for about a week now, testing still shows 0’s but that’s not uncommon at this stage.
dKH-8.3
Ca- 495
Mag-1325
1/2tsp SA, iodide, Coral Colors dosed
pH-7.95 increased to 8.17 after SA
AFR increased to 20mL/day
Nice looking torch!

OP
OP
iamacat

iamacat

Higher than my pH
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't checked in in a while; that torch is a beast!
I need to break it up. Trying to time it with a trip to the LFS to drop off the Xenia I’ll be removing, but can’t do that untill the clowns fry are gone. She will trash me hand non stop if I don’t wait.

the torch is constantly splitting

OP
OP
iamacat

iamacat

Higher than my pH
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_8867.jpeg

I need to figure out how to take better pictures. The male constantly throws off the focus with the iPhone.

I expected these to be gone by the end of the weekend, but they are still hanging on. This is day 8. I have had them anywhere from 5-10 days with this pair.
IMG_8870.jpeg

OP
OP
iamacat

iamacat

Higher than my pH
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_8884.jpeg

Splits galore and new branches starting in a couple trunks. Various segments do this throughout the day so I can easily see which ones are splitting, which is all of them. This has been an enjoyable addition from day one just over a year ago. Part of me wants to see its final form, I have never seen a massive torch, only the single digit head count. I’m guessing their value has something to do with that.
IMG_2061.gif

OP
OP
iamacat

iamacat

Higher than my pH
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_8887.jpeg

Installed the additional DI canisters today.
Sediment - VOC - Cation - Anion - Mixed

changed all canisters including Membrane. I read a post a while back about a guy changing out his membrane every 6month and had tremendous success with SPS. Not going to be doing that but for the past 3 years I’ve changed the membrane every year.

bleeding off 5g but already seeing 0-2TDS

very annoying location for this stuff but it’s the only location possible. Gotta pull out the washer dryer and get on a step ladder to get at it.

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_8887.jpeg

Installed the additional DI canisters today.
Sediment - VOC - Cation - Anion - Mixed

changed all canisters including Membrane. I read a post a while back about a guy changing out his membrane every 6month and had tremendous success with SPS. Not going to be doing that but for the past 3 years I’ve changed the membrane every year.

bleeding off 5g but already seeing 0-2TDS

very annoying location for this stuff but it’s the only location possible. Gotta pull out the washer dryer and get on a step ladder to get at it.
See I wanted mine mounted in my washing room, but I'd have to drill a hole through the floor and have the water go downstairs for me haha, or lug a bucket downstairs each time for a water change

OP
OP
iamacat

iamacat

Higher than my pH
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See I wanted mine mounted in my washing room, but I'd have to drill a hole through the floor and have the water go downstairs for me haha, or lug a bucket downstairs each time for a water change
Drill the hole! Would you then be able to have the line connected to a float switch so you wouldn’t have to manually turn the water on and off?

I don’t have a spot to store my water. Otherwise I would have my line run through the ceiling or floor to the container

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drill the hole! Would you then be able to have the line connected to a float switch so you wouldn’t have to manually turn the water on and off?

I don’t have a spot to store my water. Otherwise I would have my line run through the ceiling or floor to the container
I probably would be able to. Just a little afraid with it being a town home and me not "owning the home"

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back