Picasso Clown ID?

rhyan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So yesterday I bought a beautiful mated pair of clowns from a guy in my area.

He said he originally got them online, and called them "Darwin Picasso clowns". Is that the correct name for these fish? I'm positive they're Picassos, but their pattern is so unique I assumed they weren't ordinary Picasso clowns.

The Female has a blue spot near her dorsal fin that appears on both sides of her body. Both of them have a faint blue/green iridescence in the white that can be seen in some lighting.

I plan to sell some of the offspring from their next spawn. Any ideas for what you would price these guys at?

Thanks for your help!!

25875D1F-8F30-4D61-B751-7B407F32B682.JPG
5CD68D48-E189-4227-9A19-89DE90033EEC.JPG
69E62E02-3C53-471D-AAE6-8E1F49DB8372.JPG
F9064A62-55F2-407C-9516-8569ED429406.JPG
2D45B673-6FB6-4D3E-84B5-5C0699FBD6DF.JPG

Slot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are the coolest clowns ive seen. Id buy a pair

gioNVA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like they are onyx picasso clownfish. The female has an amazing pattern and color. She looks similar to certain cquest onyx clownfish that have a slight pinched head shape. So it's possible that she's a cquest onyx picasso mix. It's hard to tell unless you can trace the lineage back to the breeder. Anyway, best of luck. Hope they spawn soon.

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like they are onyx picasso clownfish. The female has an amazing pattern and color. She looks similar to certain cquest onyx clownfish that have a slight pinched head shape. So it's possible that she's a cquest onyx picasso mix. It's hard to tell unless you can trace the lineage back to the breeder. Anyway, best of luck. Hope they spawn soon.

Onyx Picasso have blue hues? I can see the Onyx Picasso in these fish, but the blue hues made me think of the frostbite. I need to learn the other traits like "pinched head". What are other things to look for?

OP
OP
rhyan

rhyan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Onyx Picasso have blue hues? I can see the Onyx Picasso in these fish, but the blue hues made me think of the frostbite. I need to learn the other traits like "pinched head". What are other things to look for?

I don't think they're Frostbite. I see what you mean about the blue, but their white pattern is much different than a Frostbite. I looked up Onyx Picasso clowns and I'm pretty sure that's what mine are. Here's a picture with a few variations including some with blue hues.

IMG_0290.JPG

Theo15

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They look like onyx picasso clowns , this is my pair they aren't that mature yet though
7b0756e932e994a25b737ac642b1302e.jpg
3529a9301d4575b0eecf9e399d18452e.jpg

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe the full blown tech ID would be extreme grade A onyx picasso, I have a pair myself from Bali but w/out the blue hue, which who knows if that adds another syllable or something!lol
It's kinda hard to stay on top of ID's on some of these w/ all the variations.
Nice score!

OP
OP
rhyan

rhyan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe the full blown tech ID would be extreme grade A onyx picasso, I have a pair myself from Bali but w/out the blue hue, which who knows if that adds another syllable or something!lol
It's kinda hard to stay on top of ID's on some of these w/ all the variations.
Nice score!

Wow thanks so much!
Any idea what to price their offspring at?

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I got my pair recently for $249 plus shipping, but originally he was told by the wholesaler they were nebula, and he was not really sure until I and others started chiming in, and I think he kept to asking price to be cool, but honestly I think he could have charged more, I mean I know I would have paid more for such a nice bonded pair easily.
The market is fickle and new variations can change demand/price, but to throw a number I'd say $350ish for a pair and I know some would charge more, and once they are proven egg layers I've seen the breeding pairs sold for quite a bit more than that

OP
OP
rhyan

rhyan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I got my pair recently for $249 plus shipping, but originally he was told by the wholesaler they were nebula, and he was not really sure until I and others started chiming in, and I think he kept to asking price to be cool, but honestly I think he could have charged more, I mean I know I would have paid more for such a nice bonded pair easily.
The market is fickle and new variations can change demand/price, but to throw a number I'd say $350ish for a pair and I know some would charge more, and once they are proven egg layers I've seen the breeding pairs sold for quite a bit more than that

That's exciting to hear!!

patent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without having a positive description from the breeder, its almost impossible to say what they are, so be careful with what you call the offspring.

To me they look like exactly what they were described as, a cross between a Darwin ocellaris and a Picasso percula. That blue patch does not look like something you see on an onyx crossed with a picasso. JMHO.

patent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow thanks so much!
Any idea what to price their offspring at?

Your offspring will not be all the same. Some will be blacker than others. Some will have more pattern than the others. As a result they will go for different prices, depending on the grade of the specific fish, and to an extent how badly the purchaser wants them.

OP
OP
rhyan

rhyan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without having a positive description from the breeder, its almost impossible to say what they are, so be careful with what you call the offspring.

To me they look like exactly what they were described as, a cross between a Darwin ocellaris and a Picasso percula. That blue patch does not look like something you see on an onyx crossed with a picasso. JMHO.

As I'm looking at them more I can definitely see this being a Darwin Picasso cross. I haven't been able to find hardly anything about Darwin Picassos online though. I did some digging in another forum showing some of the designer variations and I found this rare "Blue Tail Darwin Ocellaris". I doubt this is where the blue in my fish come from, but I thought it was interesting.

Blue Tail Darwin.jpg

There is one person on YouTube that I found trying to cross a Darwin and a Picasso, but the videos are from a while ago so who knows if they were ever successful.
Here's a link to the video I found:

Interestingly, in this video I can see a faint blue coloration in the white on the Picasso. It's also a slim chance that these were the parent fish of the ones I have now, but I guess its a possibility...

Thanks for all your help everyone!!

gioNVA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yes I've seen them on some onyx picassos. Check this pair out from clownfish depot. The female is a Cquest and you can see the very slight pinch on the head. The male I believe is a doni picasso x onyx cross. You can see the blue hues.

http://community.lovenature.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2016/03/Clownfish_2.jpg

Here's Rod's onyx mama clownfish with the classic pinched head.

https://reefbuilders.com/files/2012/01/greenonyx01.jpg

@trekman01 do you know who bred this pair?

OP
OP
rhyan

rhyan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I've seen them on some onyx picassos. Check this pair out from clownfish depot. The female is a Cquest and you can see the very slight pinch on the head. The male I believe is a doni picasso x onyx cross. You can see the blue hues.

http://community.lovenature.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2016/03/Clownfish_2.jpg

Here's Rod's onyx mama clownfish with the classic pinched head.

https://reefbuilders.com/files/2012/01/greenonyx01.jpg

@trekman01 do you know who bred this pair?
I'm trying to figure that out. I bought these guys and their 29g Biocube yesterday from a guy on OfferUp. He just told me that they were "Darwin Picassos" and that he got them online. I texted him to see if he remembers where specifically he got them, but I haven't heard back yet. I'll be sure to post it here when I do hear from him.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 139 43.2%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 112 34.8%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.5%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.6%
Back