OP
gar732

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been a while since my last update, been working a ton lately and have been short on time. I took some pics today and thought I'd share. These are the first two clutches that were combined, there are about 40 in all.

This guy we call one eyed willie. He lost his eye when he was just a few days old. I didn't think he was going to make it but he did and is turning out to be one of the nicer picassos. As he is growing the white where his eye should be keeps spreading and I expect that the whole side of his face will be completely white in time. It kind of looks like he is wearing an eye patch.

OP
OP
gar732

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are some from a younger clutch. I'm guessing I have around 50 of these guys.

I also have a new batch that just hatched out a few days ago. I'm guessing around 100 or so in that clutch so far. My snow/onyx are laying steadily now and I think the next clutch I raise will be one of theirs. I'm still waiting for my frostbite/occy pair to lay. The female is quite plump but nothing yet. I'm also planning on adding to my broodstock, it's a fish that I've been eyeing since they became available and I'm just about ready to make a move on one.

Wesley42079

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice clutch of babies. So, has it been a hard process to get the fry to this stage?

What are you planning to do with One Eye Willy?

OP
OP
gar732

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice clutch of babies. So, has it been a hard process to get the fry to this stage?

What are you planning to do with One Eye Willy?

Thanks, there is definitely a learning curve involved but once you figure it out it's more about maintenance. The losses I've incurred have been due to my schedule and therefore missing maintenance. I've since enlisted the wife to do the basics if I'm unable to do it myself which has helped quite a bit. The first 10 days or so are when they are the most fragile, after that it gets a little easier. Basically just feeding and water changes.

My daughter has been watching willie since we first noticed he was missing an eye when he was less than a week old. I told her she can keep a pair and she has claimed him as her first pick. My first though was that I would have to cull him if he made it at all but with my daughter watching after him and the fact that it was an injury and not a deformity I figured I'd see if he made it. I think he is going to be very unique looking especially if the white covers that entire side of his head like I think it will.

Oohhhh very nice! What's the next move?? Lightning maybe?

Thanks. I think there is a storm coming :xd:

OP
OP
gar732

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What ever happened to them? Any updates?

I raised a few more clutches of the Picassos and also some frostbites as well. I stopped raising them when I moved and unfortunately lost my female Picasso during the move. I'm still working on getting my new broodstock system up and running but my frostbites have started laying again in their temp tank. I hope to start raising them again soon. I did replace my female Picasso with a Bali Picasso but they haven't started laying yet.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 86 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 13 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back