[Pico] 2 Gallon Cookie Jar by ReefJar

Jakepen

Few beers and I'll frag anything...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, this is awesome. If you don't mind me asking, what's the total cost? I've about reached my bottom dollar on my current build, but would love to try something like this. Much maintanance go into this?

OP
OP
ReefJar

ReefJar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, this is awesome. If you don't mind me asking, what's the total cost? I've about reached my bottom dollar on my current build, but would love to try something like this. Much maintanance go into this?

I'm not sure of the total cost of the corals, I didn't keep track.

~Canadian dollars at the time~

The light + Stand in total was about $50 including shipping
Jar I paid $20 because I was in a hurry, could have done cheaper
Air pump from Walmart $15
Plastic planter saucer for a lid $1
Air tubing etc $8
heater $50
sand+rocks maybe $30-50
Betta mag ($10)
CoralRX ($30)
35% H202 ($20)
$8 for tubing to siphon water out

Maintanance costs at this point 2.5 gallons of saltwater per week (I usually drain the jar, do a little flush with about 1g of saltwater before replacing all the water). I don't really need to feed, but I reckon this small jar of reef roids will last a year ($20) and the mysis/calanus I bought in a pack, I think I'd go through 2 packs per year ($40 total for the year). I have c-balance to dose which was about $30 and that will last for at least 2 years (I don't use it currently).

I didn't have anything at all, so I had to buy a lot of other little things like a pail for mixing water and some Rio pump and extra heater to mix the water etc...

Since you already have a system etc, I'm sure you could use some old stuff and put something together for less. Hope that helps :D

Jakepen

Few beers and I'll frag anything...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure of the total cost of the corals, I didn't keep track.

~Canadian dollars at the time~

The light + Stand in total was about $50 including shipping
Jar I paid $20 because I was in a hurry, could have done cheaper
Air pump from Walmart $15
Plastic planter saucer for a lid $1
Air tubing etc $8
heater $50
sand+rocks maybe $30-50
Betta mag ($10)
CoralRX ($30)
35% H202 ($20)
$8 for tubing to siphon water out

Maintanance costs at this point 2.5 gallons of saltwater per week (I usually drain the jar, do a little flush with about 1g of saltwater before replacing all the water). I don't really need to feed, but I reckon this small jar of reef roids will last a year ($20) and the mysis/calanus I bought in a pack, I think I'd go through 2 packs per year ($40 total for the year). I have c-balance to dose which was about $30 and that will last for at least 2 years (I don't use it currently).

I didn't have anything at all, so I had to buy a lot of other little things like a pail for mixing water and some Rio pump and extra heater to mix the water etc...

Since you already have a system etc, I'm sure you could use some old stuff and put something together for less. Hope that helps :D
Definitely does, thanks man. Now just have to get the wife on board with another tank ha. Eventually, I'll start a Pico. May still be to soon for me, very new to this hobby. I assume Pico tanks can be pretty difficult at times?

OP
OP
ReefJar

ReefJar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely does, thanks man. Now just have to get the wife on board with another tank ha. Eventually, I'll start a Pico. May still be to soon for me, very new to this hobby. I assume Pico tanks can be pretty difficult at times?

It's actually really easy because you don't need to worry anything as long as you keep on top of water changes and any pest/algae issues! I'm more on board of recommending systems like this to new people, because of the lower costs and how easy it is.

OP
OP
ReefJar

ReefJar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just made a big post to compliment the video: http://www.reefjar.com/6-months-review/

Thanks again for all the support. If you have any questions please feel free to ask!

pico-reef-6-months_zpshsy1i2u5.jpg

Hogan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What was you cycling/start up procedure? How do you drain the water without destroying everything?Also, how deep is the sand and how much rock is in there?

OP
OP
ReefJar

ReefJar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What was you cycling/start up procedure?

There really is very minimal cycling when you are taking everything from established systems, if any at all. You can literally set up and start adding some live stock the same day. I basically starting adding corals as soon as I got the temperature stable. Also, you're changing 100% of the water each week, so it's not like you're building up an extremely toxic environment in that short time, unless you've got 1/2lb of dead lobster under the rocks.

The biggest problem in the beginning was getting the internal temperature stable. Initially I didn't want to use air for circulation because of the noise (this jar is on my desk), but even the small Rio 50 pumps were generating too much heat (MP10 might do the trick, too bad they don't make a smaller version at a lower price).

How do you drain the water without destroying everything?

I'm not quite sure what you mean about destroying everything. I use a piece of tubing to siphon the water out. When the siphon quits, sometimes i'll carefully tilt the jar and use a turkey baster to get the last of the water out (it always appears to be the dirtiest). There have been times when I have reached my hand in there and broken something off etc... frustrating.... but a little gel super glue puts things back together.

The corals can be exposed to air no problem. In fact, it happens all the time in shallow reefs and where tides have drastic changes. I've left them dry for 30 minutes+ before without issue (not that I recommend doing it). I find that the more they get exposed, the less they care when they are returned to the water. Everything opens back up within 5-10 minutes when they are back in water with the light over them (some of them immediately).

Also, how deep is the sand and how much rock is in there?

The sand bed is about 1" deep and I have about 4 or 5lbs of rock (about 1lb or so is heavy base rock)

Are you thinking about getting a smaller pico going?

Hogan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I think it might be fun to try. I currently have a 6 gallon that's been running for about 5 yrs. (other current tanks are 10g, 20g, 45g, and 180g). a small pico on the desk at work would be awesome though.

Untamedrose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Reefjar....

I have a one gal basically pickle jar, right now it's sitting on my desk...my work seconds(stuff I dont like enough to sell...but isnt hated enought to trash it. talking glass work stuffs in it nothing that would soil it for a tank and no it wasnt an actual pickle jar before... just)
...I am staring at it....

I want this.....smaller... GSP "grass", lr "hill" and the bonsai tree look coral.... one tiny tiny! fish... (not sure what thinking about a catalina goby pending the temps...thinking without heater it will run cool enough..maybe...would wait to find out)
aXn53HL.jpg

thoughts???

OP
OP
ReefJar

ReefJar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks awesome! It gives me an idea for this octospawn I have. Right now it's just surviving in an old Brita water filter.

As long as you can keep the temperature stable, whether it be in a lower or higher range, I think that is the most important thing. Corals/fishes don't like large swings in salinity or temp.

If you can keep it stable, go for it!

Lilly45nano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is the coolest thing I have seen...I just found this thread...simply awesome!

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 76 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back