Pico water changes.

Gellisjr1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello

I started a pico tank a few months ago. I have been consistently doing a weekly water change with a fresh mix of salt & RO water. The pico tank is a 5.5 gallon standard rectangle tank from petco. I am starting to notice some algae growth in the tank. So I am sure there is some nutrients in the water. I have not tested the water as I thought the weekly 2 gallon water change would be enough to rest the parameters. Since the algae has started to grow. I am wondering if I should do more frequent smaller water changes to help control the nutrients better. Or should I just ad some chemi pure to my filter? I also have some pom pom macro in the water to help control nutrients. I dont feed the two clowns very much food only once per day and its a tiny pinch of pellets. Other wise I am pleased with the condition of the tank and health of my corals, fish & Anemone in the tank.

20240408_203700.jpg

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Algae isn’t the end of the world. Perhaps algae eaters and elbow grease are in your future. Tank looks good

Ben's Pico Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns produce a lot of waste and will outgrow. Already seems they maybe to large for tank in picture. I have found sand to be nutrient holders if not enough flow and sandbed isnt cleaned. You will always have some algae especially in beginning. Its apart of reef tank but can be minimal. Your better off with weekly 100 percent water changes or as close to. Make sure temp is in a couple degrees and use same salt. Algae that starts getting out of control is caused by excess nutrients. It appears you have a hob filter. What is in it?

All in all, doesnt look bad.

OP
OP
G

Gellisjr1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns produce a lot of waste and will outgrow. Already seems they maybe to large for tank in picture. I have found sand to be nutrient holders if not enough flow and sandbed isnt cleaned. You will always have some algae especially in beginning. Its apart of reef tank but can be minimal. Your better off with weekly 100 percent water changes or as close to. Make sure temp is in a couple degrees and use same salt. Algae that starts getting out of control is caused by excess nutrients. It appears you have a hob filter. What is in it?

All in all, doesnt look bad.
Thank you for your reply. I appreciate your feedback. The larger clown is maybe 1.5 inches the other is a baby .75 inches. They were both added to this tank at the same time about a month ago. I need to test the water parameters to know exactly what the nutrients are. I have the test kits to measure them. I have just been trying to rely on water changes to control nutrients in this tank. The hang on back filter is an Aquaclear 20. It has the prefilter sponge, sintered glass bio media (Soon will add some Marine Pure ceramic bio balls soaked in Microbactor 7 in a mesh bag), a mix of carbon and GFO in a mesh bag. I am also dosing .5 mL daily of All for Reef to stabilize the parameters and add trace elements. I test Alk often and noticed between water changes the alk was dropping by a full point. The AFR has fixed this little issue. I found a small wave pump on Amazon that I want to try to help improve the flow in the tank. As of right now I am relying on the HOB for flow. I am very pleased with the corals in this tank. The Acans are very fluffy and plump. Zoas are already growing babies. Colors are bright and vibrant. I mix my saltwater in a 5 gallon bucket with 0 TDS RO Water and Instant Ocean Reef Crystals. I have a heater and a small powerhead in the bucket to mix the salt. I mix my salt to 1.025 SG. measured with a Refractometer. I have tested my mixed saltwater dKH - 9.4, Ca - 420 PPM & Mg - 1280 PPM. I add Bulk Reef Supply general Mg mix to elevate the magnesium level to 1420-1450 PPM.

This is my first pico tank. I have two other reef tanks. Both of those are Nano tanks. 35 gallon cube mixed reef (LPS, SPS & Fish) & the other is a 20 gallon tall softie, zoa & macro tank with two storm clowns no other fish. I want to keep the pico as simple and minimalist as possible. I don't want to stress over this tank. If it ends up becoming a problem I will just transfer the fish and corals to my other tanks that are well established and stable.

Last edited:

Ben's Pico Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your reply. I appreciate your feedback. The larger clown is maybe 1.5 inches the other is a baby .75 inches. They were both added to this tank at the same time about a month ago. I need to test the water parameters to know exactly what the nutrients are. I have the test kits to measure them. I have just been trying to rely on water changes to control nutrients in this tank. The hang on back filter is an Aquaclear 20. It has the prefilter sponge, sintered glass bio media (Soon will add some Marine Pure ceramic bio balls soaked in Microbactor 7 in a mesh bag), a mix of carbon and GFO in a mesh bag. I am also dosing .5 mL daily of All for Reef to stabilize the parameters and add trace elements. I test Alk often and noticed between water changes the alk was dropping by a full point. The AFR has fixed this little issue. I found a small wave pump on Amazon that I want to try to help improve the flow in the tank. As of right now I am relying on the HOB for flow. I am very pleased with the corals in this tank. The Acans are very fluffy and plump. Zoas are already growing babies. Colors are bright and vibrant. I mix my saltwater in a 5 gallon bucket with 0 TDS RO Water and Instant Ocean Reef Crystals. I have a heater and a small powerhead in the bucket to mix the salt. I mix my salt to 1.025 SG. measured with a Refractometer. I have tested my mixed saltwater dKH - 9.4, Ca - 420 PPM & Mg - 1280 PPM. I add Bulk Reef Supply general Mg mix to elevate the magnesium level to 1420-1450 PPM.

This is my first pico tank. I have two other reef tanks. Both of those are Nano tanks. 35 gallon cube mixed reef (LPS, SPS & Fish) & the other is a 20 gallon tall softie, zoa & macro tank with two storm clowns no other fish. I want to keep the pico as simple and minimalist as possible. I don't want to stress over this tank. If it ends up becoming a problem I will just transfer the fish and corals to my other tanks that are well established and stable.
If everything is happy I would just continue and increase water change. Or feed a bit less. Clowns are adding the largest bioload. Lots of tanks go through this so just stay on maintenance. If it doesnt improve after a month or 2 or at least stabalize, then you can rethink maintenance. Currently when you water change, you can take a brush to scrub some of the rock and syphon.

I keep minimalist tanks. My maintenance is 100 percent weekly water changes and cleaning glass. I just have a filtersock to protect pump, heater and light. I dont dose or anything else currently. I feed benepets after things open from water change and about half way between. Lid controls evap which I am waiting on for my current. If you decide to break down let me know and I can help you simplify further. Hopefully it wont come to that. Just keep in maintenance and give it time. This initial stage is common.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 25 36.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 10.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 22 31.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 13 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.9%
Back