PLEASE DON'T BUY ANY NEW CORALS...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ironic thing about this is...What other industry is the vendor telling the customer not to buy their product?
Vendors looking out for their customers and their success, ultimately translates into the the success of the industry. When a animal/coral is purchased, dies, introduces pests whatever it's another red mark on how this is a 'hard' hobby. If the rules are followed success is easy which makes it good for all.

So true...I think that the coral industry is filled with really conscientious, very concerned people, who do their level best to delight customers. As purveyors of live animals, we have an ethical and moral responsibility to at least let potential customers know what the real "411" is about the corals that they are contemplating purchasing...And if forcing us to examine our own thinking about corals keeps a few people from making a move that could be detrimental to the animal(s) in question, then that's time well spent! In the long run, the greater good of the hobby is more important than a single sale to an individual who is ill-prepared to care for the corals that they intend to purchase. Love the good discussion here...everyone seems to be on the same page. :)

kchapmanjr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scott, that's why I have, and always will buy from Unique. If you remember, about 4-5 months ago I (against my better judgement) bought a big beautiful Spath colony from you - knowing they are horrible shippers. Long story short, coral came in in really bad shape and rtn'ed in 36 hours - but you took care of me. You guys always stick by your product and tell it like it is. Total stand up up company that, as long as you sell, will always have my patronage.

NeverlosT

SPS nut
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't tell you how frequently I've met people who spend richly on corals and cannot afford to do so. Like it or not, if you want to keep a large SPS reef, it is going to cost a fair amount. Either be prepared to spend the money every month, or do not embark on this journey. But to each their own.

Buying these animals is not a question of "well, why not, maybe it will live in my care". You would never buy a dog thinking "Well, why not, maybe it will live in my care". Either you can care for them or you can't. It takes expertise, time, patience, dedication, and lets face it, some luck. I've been on the good and the bad end, but I never took my animals lives lightly.

7hogwarts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also agree that it is good to know the requirements of the coral. However, find me the definitive source for information on each coral. And if it was wild collected the lighting and flow it was accustomed to.

Rob.D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A check list like what you have posted should be posted at every retail store and on the home page of every internet coral site.

dorky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
THANK YOU!!!!!!!! most of the time it just irk the living bleep out of me when someone would post something and ask to id or ask for advice on how to care. I think the people who does this shouldnt be in the hobby if they not going to take the time to research and to care for. i can understand bout impulse buying but dang these creature have life.

Mr. Microscope

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just gonna drop this here.
Screen%20Shot%202015-02-10%20at%209.31.15%20AM_zpsqnyxnyq5.png

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 33.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back