Please help…. Red Sea ATO+ 1 in 3…. Very LOUD! How do I quiet this thing???

Amber.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an innovative marine 25 lagoon in the bedroom I share with my daughter. I picked up a Red Sea Ato+ from my LFS a few days ago and finally set it up yesterday. I have it set in a 5 gallon Home Depot bucket with two holes drilled in the top for the cable and the hose. It’s underneath the stand. It’s set up properly and it is standing in the bucket and not leaned over touching any walls. I even tried to suspend it…. It is still extremely loud! I mean like hear it across the 800 SQ FT house with the door closed loud!

I turned it off last night before bed and it turned itself back on at midnight and woke us up. I about jumped out of my skin!

How do I quiet this blasted thing? I shook it on its side and got all of the bubbles out and I took the rubber bottom off to check the impeller (I didn’t take the impeller out).

Please help!!!!

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think all ATOs are noisy. Mine is a Tunze and I can hear it from upstairs. I put 2 layers of thick filter floss underneath the pump and it decreases the noise by about 30% but it’s still very loud.

You can buy a smart plug from Amazon (I use Govee) and set it so it doesn’t go off at night. This way you can sleep. The only thing is it’s going to affect your salinity somewhat. You can measure it and see how much.

Reefin' Alaska

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Mine is on the other side of the wall from my display in the basement of a 3300sqf house, and at night when it's quiet and I'm sitting upstairs working or reading in my loft after everyone goes to bed, I can hear it turn on.

It's loud. It is what it is.

OP
OP
Amber.

Amber.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think all ATOs are noisy. Mine is a Tunze and I can hear it from upstairs. I put 2 layers of thick filter floss underneath the pump and it decreases the noise by about 30% but it’s still very loud.

You can buy a smart plug from Amazon (I use Govee) and set it so it doesn’t go off at night. This way you can sleep. The only thing is it’s going to affect your salinity somewhat. You can measure it and see how much.
I have an extra smart plug laying around, I might try that depending on how tonight goes again. Thanks for the idea on the floss too!

Yeah.. I was sold on the point of this being a leak detector, top off and temperature probe. I wanted safety and some form of redundancy. I didn’t realize it was going to sound like a power steering pump dying in the middle of the night.

OP
OP
Amber.

Amber.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is on the other side of the wall from my display in the basement of a 3300sqf house, and at night when it's quiet and I'm sitting upstairs working or reading in my loft after everyone goes to bed, I can hear it turn on.

It's loud. It is what it is.
I need to learn to live by those words. “It is what it is.” Words of the wise, thank you.

slingfox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this unit. After buying a bunch of Red Sea equipment for my tank I intend to avoid any RedSea pumps going forward. I have a RedSea return pump, protein skimmer and ATO. I believe most of these use Sicce pumps which are not quiet.

Reefin' Alaska

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I need to learn to live by those words. “It is what it is.” Words of the wise, thank you.

Hahaha!

It's a thing to live by for sure. 23 years part of various projects and commercial developments you learn it's something to follow. You just simply can't control everything. =)

As for the ATO, it works. It's functional. It's worked flawlessly for close to a year now. I really have no complaints. Although, I am anxious to try that new Tunze that replaced the 3155. Lol.

OP
OP
Amber.

Amber.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used a tunze 3155 for, I don't know, 20 or so some odd years. Tried them all over the years, every ATO is loud.

Recently replaced my aging 3155 with the new tunze osmolator 3. That pump is god honest, dead silent!

That’s some reliability!! It sounds like a dream! I was talked into the Red Sea by the LFS. Now I regret my choices in life!

Anyone want a Red Sea ATO+? Hah. I’ll look into that tunze next month - didn’t realize they just released the new one!

Thank you!

OP
OP
Amber.

Amber.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hahaha!

It's a thing to live by for sure. 23 years part of various projects and commercial developments you learn it's something to follow. You just simply can't control everything. =)

As for the ATO, it works. It's functional. It's worked flawlessly for close to a year now. I really have no complaints. Although, I am anxious to try that new Tunze that replaced the 3155. Lol.
That is very true on many accounts. I wish I knew about the tunze a few days ago, dang. I guess you win some you learn some too. Last time I’m letting the LFS talk me into equipment ;(

Last edited:

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 21 29.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 16 22.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 27 38.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 5.6%
Back