Plumbing questions.

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Teflon, PTFE, is poison if eaten. Thats why you don't want to use a teflon coated skillet that has the surface peeling.
Just because it says poison doesn't make it bad, just don't eat it.

OP
OP
tyler1503

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Teflon, PTFE, is poison if eaten. Thats why you don't want to use a teflon coated skillet that has the surface peeling.
Just because it says poison doesn't make it bad, just don't eat it.

Fair enough. I'll have to read into those products a bit more before I start joining things. Thanks for the heads up :)

sundog101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reviving this thread haha.
At macna Bill Wann said he uses silicone to seal threaded fittings. Would that be adequate?

CiCikl85

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plumber here... I wouldn't use silicone even though it would work for a couple reasons... 1) Time, takes 24 hrs to properly dry and if it does leak then you have to take it apart and do it again which could be a pain trying to break loose a fitting siliconed into a threaded bulkhead under a tank... 2) It can make a mess 3) Teflon is cheaper and last longer... Many people use way to much Teflon than what is needed 3-4 snug wraps is all you need especially for the purposes we aquarist use it for. Quick tip a old timer plumber taught me was to keep your teflon 1-2 threads behind 1st thread and this prevents "pinching" the teflon or tearing it loose. With PVC or Poly fittings hand tighten them, then tighten them 1/2 turn to 1 full turn with a wench then stop or you risk breaking the fitting or you can even stretch the threads to the point you have to load it up with teflon and then you still risk it leaking or eventually leaking.

Dom274

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is why you don’t use Teflon tape...

AA878B9D-725E-4F31-A916-4E706754477C.jpeg

CiCikl85

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry but that is not the teflon's fault more so user error... You clearly either put to much teflon on male fitting or threaded that fitting to tight or both causing that valve/check valve to split. 3-4 full wraps then Just hand tighten then all it needs is a half turn to 1 full turn with a wrench and it will hold a 100# test... This is my 1" gate valve right above my return pump which is a Jebao DCP 10000...
IMG_1977.jpg

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 63 34.2%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 26.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 59 32.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back