Poll: Do you use Calcium Reactor or Dosing Pumps?

Which do you use?

• Calcium Reactor

Votes: 81 23.7%
  • Dosing Pump

Votes: 196 57.3%
  • Neither

Votes: 65 19.0%

• Total voters

Greg79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1279.jpg

Rob Top1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started watching my alk and ca numbers when the grow out competition was announced. Wow what a difference consistently maintaining alk makes. Not sure how I forgot it's importance but I had. Now that I am on top of it things are really taking off. I was using kalk in a slurry but after revisiting some of Randy's papers on its use I stopped the slurry approach. Just dripping kalk wasn't enough so I moved to the BRS two part. I have the dosing pumps just havent had the time to set them up, so currently I have the jugs with the dispensing hand pump sitting by the sump. One pump of each twice a day is keeping me solid. Can't wait till next year when I have time to set up the dosing pump. @Reef Pets love the idea of only a couple days of product in the container. Such a simple and obvious safety step. Glad you posted it as I wouldn't of come up with that and was wondering how to safe guard against the pump staying on duh. I do that without off as I am use manual float switches. The Reservoir could dump its contents and not Jack the salinity too much and an emergency overflow on the sump prevents a wet floor and wet socks. Hate the wet socks

Last edited:

robby2782

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally started running my reactor of my Apex and it is 100x easier and safer than before.
My ph probe monitors reactor's ph the through the apex, and it runs 5 hours a day right now. No concern about melting media, dropping ph at night, or swinging alk.
So far it's been really easy.

Batt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always used a dosing pump. calcium reactors are only for calcium and really does not help with alk. In a sps dominated tank alk is key and sps us more alk and mag are used I noticed that cal is used up but not that much. dosing pumps are the best way to go and testing 2x a week is key , once you notice a drop in alk make adjustments asap. aslo alk affect cal , in your alk drops its will take you cal reading along with it . always ajust alk first and then in 24h rest cal it will always return back to its normal reading. dosing pumps are key for sps tank , most people with cal reactors still have dosing pumps for alk and mag. The more stable your tank is the faster growth you will get....

Last edited:

robby2782

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always used a dosing pump. calcium reactors are only for calcium and really does not help with alk. In a sps dominated tank alk is key and sps us more alk and mag are used I noticed that cal is used up but not that much. dosing pumps are the best way to go and testing 2x a week is key , once you notice a drop in alk make adjustments asap. aslo alk affect cal , in your alk drops its will take you cal reading along with it . always ajust alk first and then in 24h rest cal it will always return back to its normal reading. dosing pumps are key for sps tank , most people with cal reactors still have dosing pumps for alk and mag. The more stable your tank is the faster growth you will get....

No offense, but that is absolutely untrue regarding a reactor. Depending on how low you run the ph, the alk is higher the lower you run it.

I do agree with everything else stated however.

Last edited:

Batt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No offense, but that is absolutely untrue regarding a reactor. Depending on how low you run the ph, the alk is higher the lower you run it.

I do agree with everything else stated however.

can you control your alk with out toughing your reactor ?

Last edited:

robby2782

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's all I monitor with it. I simply adjust the drip rate or the time the solenoid is allowed to be on via the apex. To me, it should be called an alk reactor opposed to a calcium reactor.

Batt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You alter your ph to a just all witch is not good. That's why I stop using a cal reactor. And also the fact that thay are ticking time bombs . Don't like them ball method is what I use and will never go back

kacrocorals581

Gotta have that acro
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used both and success but got tired of messing with the cal reactor and went back to balling fact of the matter is unless you have some crazy big tank and its just a cost of dosing thing then the cal reactor can be more cost effective but for me I'll stick with balling set my dosers and the rest is simple

Last edited:

Finnaddict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a cal reactor and it manages cal and alk. I just have to dial in the PH to give me what I want, refill the CO2 and Media from time to time and let it run. I used to add 2 part and dose kalk but Its just another thing I have to remember to do and my memory sucks. LOL I test roughly once every 7 to 10 days to make sure everything is OK. Been using a reactor for close to 15 years.

acesfull44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I love to see this feedback, as a newb to the hobby this was something I was very curious about. If it seems there are people who use both, so why is it that this poll does not account for that? Did I miss something here?

Reefer93105

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GEO 818 Ca Reactor with controller. I'm too lazy to mix and with a large tank that consumes 100ml of 2 parts every two days, a calcium reactor is the only ways to go. Once dialed in it's easy.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calcium Reactor. After a bit of help getting it tuned in to my system, both ALK and CA have been ROCK SOLID. SPS are growing like weeds, its great :)
Have everything controlled and failsafes setup with my Apex, and if anything is off such as the PH of the reactor, or PH of my tank, etc i get a text message on my phone.

Rockhead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I just picked up a cal reactor, on my 150 packed solid with Sps I was dosing 160ml alk 145-150ml of cal and seemed like I was making gallons is 2 part weekly , so this is why I grabbed a cal reactor and just set up a 120 with a 75 gal sump and plan on packing this tank with Sps also so going to try the reactor . Now I can't say what is better but I am hoping for the best with the reactor in a larger tank. I'm still using 2 part on the frag setup with dosing pump.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back