Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Polyclad Flatworm (P.mopsus) The Clam Killer
by Guy Walker

attachment.php

© Copyright Marian K. Litvaitis, University of New Hampshire, 2005-2007
Phrikoceros mopsus, live animal

Like a creature out of a 1950's science fiction movie it glides across a rocky terrain looking for its next victim to devour. This creature is truly a giant, a behemoth amongst its kind I am speaking of the polyclad flatworm Phrikoceros Mopsus the largest unwanted flatworm we see in the hobby and a known clam predator. In my research I could not find exact size ranges for this species but can say I myself have seen a 6" specimen and have heard reports of larger whether true or not I can not confirm.

The Polyclad Flatworm (P.mopsus) is a successful and stealthy nocturnal hunter believed not only to feed on Tridacna Clams but also small worms, crustaceans and snails making them a most unwanted guest in any reef aquarium. These flatworms hunt using chemo-sensory detectors that can detect and track their prey through the chemical compounds they release into the water column. They can kill and devour a clam over night I know this from first hand experience losing six prized clams before finding the culprits.

10 Clams in my 70g shallow reef

This flatworm can be hard to locate in a reef aquarium by nature they are designed to look like the mantles of clams in my opinion they look very much like the mantle of T. squamosa. They tend to hide in your rock work and unless moving blend in quite well making them very difficult to see. There are some signs though that can suggest you have one or more in your aquarium. Sudden and unexplained Clam death of course tops the list but there is another sign people do not normally think of. I was noticing dead snail shells at an alarming rate and had thought originally a mantis shrimp was the culprit and spent several hours looking for signs to no avail. Only after the clams started dying and I finally found on the shell of the last fatality three Polyclad Flatworms did I make the connection. In retrospect the snail deaths were in fact the first signs of the flatworms.

I have found once you have these guys in your tank the best way to remove is active hunting and or using bait and capture. If you have an unexplained clam fatality quickly remove and examine the remains if there is flesh left on the clam and flatworms are the culprit there is a good chance they could still be there. You can bait these guys using feeder clams in a fish trap checking often late at night this is how I caught the last one in my system. It has been over 2 years since I have seen any signs of Polyclad Flatworms.

I have always examined my clams very closely as well as placing them in my frag systems to observe and quarantine before placing in my tanks. I am not sure how I ended up with four Polyclad Flatworms in my tank I am assuming it was the purchase of live rock from a fellow reefer that explanation makes the most sense. If I ever found any sign of parasites in the past I would try and quarantine and treat according to type of suspected parasite. In worse cases I would freshwater dip I do not like this treatment and find it often speeds up or directly causes the clams death.

In March of 2012 I purchased a Black T. squamosa a clam I had wanted for some time and is a favorite amongst my current collection this purchase was made at a large aquarium expo. Being very crowded and me being in a hurry to see all I could at the show I neglected to examine the clam as well as I should have and upon returning home and closer inspection found a Polyclad Flatworm just below the mantle on the shell. At the time I had no quarantine or frag systems up and running and remembering my losses the year before I was very nervous about removing the flatworm and placing the clam in my display. My fear of contaminating my display and possibly losing other clams as a result pushed me to make a drastic decision. I decided to perform an experiment that had been on my mind for some time but had never tried. Not wanting to risk the death of any of my prized clams. I had decided to dip the clam in the commercial pesticide Bayer Advance complete insect killer that is commonly being used in the hobby for dipping SPS corals, all the while fearing I was going to kill the clam. During the dip the clam opened and expelled the liquid several times as if trying to clear its system of an irritant during this time I feared the dip was harming the clam but now believe it was trying to expel dying lifeforms wriggling around in its system. After 10 minutes I placed the clam in a bucket of clean tank water after a moment it opened fully I had to reach in and touch it so it would close and squirt out water I did this a few times to rinse out the clams system of the dip. I then placed the clam in my display and within seconds it was fully open and seemed very happy. Upon examination of the dip container I found the dead Polyclad Flatworm as well as a bristleworm and various unknown small crustaceans upon examination of the rinse container I found another bristleworm and a few more unknown small crustaceans. A month later I dipped a second Squamosa in the same manner it has been 10 months with no sign of ill affects with both clams growing rather well. Although I believe it to be safe it is not my intention to condone or promote the use of untested commercial pesticides in the aquarium hobby and can not guarantee the safety of anyone's livestock but I do feel it pertinent to share my experience based on the topic at hand.

attachment.php

Clam 10 months after dip in Bayer

Keeping Tridacna Clams can be fun and rewarding but as hobbyist we have an obligation to research and understand how to care for the livestock we plan to purchase. Far to many times have I seen new hobbyist purchasing clams on a whim without fully understanding how to care for them or even knowing if their systems are capable. Knowing how to inspect, recognize and treat common predators and pests is a good start and hopefully sharing my experiences can help someone who is looking to purchase a Clam make a better and more informed decision.

Last edited:

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Note that there are several species of Phrikoceros flatworms and that all may feed on the Clam's mantle and cause the demise of the Clam, and of course there are many other pests, parasites and protozoans and more than can lead to the loss of a Clam unfortunately.

JMSKI333

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just thought I would share my photos that I have of the killer responsible for about 15 turbo snail deaths before catching him out in the open searching for his next victim.

creatuefish001.jpg
creatuefish002.jpg
creatuefish003.jpg

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just thought I would share my photos that I have of the killer responsible for about 15 turbo snail deaths before catching him out in the open searching for his next victim.

Did you get an ID on the Flatworm ? Could it be a Stylochus species rather than Phrikoceros ? There are unfortunately so many carvnivorous flatworms around that it is sometimes difficult to ID them I am aware of that so if you have not found an ID I do understand.

Do you have a large picture of it, maybe I can try to figure it out for you ..

JMSKI333

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you get an ID on the Flatworm ? Could it be a Stylochus species rather than Phrikoceros ? There are unfortunately so many carvnivorous flatworms around that it is sometimes difficult to ID them I am aware of that so if you have not found an ID I do understand.

Do you have a large picture of it, maybe I can try to figure it out for you ..

I did not get an exact identification but back 3 years ago when I first took these photos and asked the reefers on the forum what they thought about it, I was told it was a polyclad flatworm and bad news for my snails. That was enough info for me to remove him from my tank. Unfortunately these are all the photos I have of him, but I greatly appreciate the interest in helping me identify it.

I did have trouble keeping snails alive before removing that guy from my tank, so I'm pretty confident he was the culprit.

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not get an exact identification but back 3 years ago when I first took these photos and asked the reefers on the forum what they thought about it, I was told it was a polyclad flatworm and bad news for my snails. That was enough info for me to remove him from my tank. Unfortunately these are all the photos I have of him, but I greatly appreciate the interest in helping me identify it.

I did have trouble keeping snails alive before removing that guy from my tank, so I'm pretty confident he was the culprit.

True that long ago all you would have gotten is indeed the response you mention : Polyclad flatworm. Since then it seems like many have now been identified. I cover a lot of them in my new book including the small crustacean eating ones including the dreaded Phestilla lugubrus nudi.

Thanks for the response

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is a great addition to the article section! Thank you!

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a great addition to the article section! Thank you!

It is need and a lot of Hobbyists do not realize they may have that Flatworm in their tank as it is so good at hiding ... and matches the color of whatever clam it is on in most cases and of course you will not see a sign of it during the day as it goes into hiding, under the Clam or under a rock or in a crevice and then comes out at night. Nasty piece of work they are, but there are so many Clam pests that it is sometimes difficult to figure out what caused the demise of a clam. I have several pages on the pests with pics in my new book (about 15 just on Clam pests etc.

jedidad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how much of the bayer pesticide do you use to treat. this is a very interesting article.

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how much of the bayer pesticide do you use to treat. this is a very interesting article.

jedidad this is not Guy's answer or recommendation but what I suggest and Guy's may differ :

For AEFW ... 5 ml of the Bayer Product per Cup of Tank Water used for the dip. 1 Cup = 8 oz. Dip for 10 to 15 minutes. Inspect carefully after dip as the egg masses may not have come loose whereas the Flatworms may have

Now of other pest GUY may have a different suggestion ... and of course use at your own risk ...

OP
OP
G

GuyWalker1219

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
jedidad this is not Guy's answer or recommendation but what I suggest and Guy's may differ :

For AEFW ... 5 ml of the Bayer Product per Cup of Tank Water used for the dip. 1 Cup = 8 oz. Dip for 10 to 15 minutes. Inspect carefully after dip as the egg masses may not have come loose whereas the Flatworms may have

Now of other pest GUY may have a different suggestion ... and of course use at your own risk ...
This sounds about right to me Albert I usually dip 10 minutes . I've gotten to the point honestly where I don't even measure when I dip I originally started with 8ml to 1l but recently started adding a little more. I dip everything this same way and feel it works with ridding all the pests I'm looking to kill. One thing I do with clams that I forgot to mention in the write up is use a toothbrush on the outside shell to scrub off anything that looks suspicious. This is to insure no invasive types of algae make there way into my displays as well as any eggs that may be present. Albert I have not had any practical experience with pinched mantle and was wondering if the Bayer may also kill the protozoa that is believed to cause it, What are your thoughts?

Last edited:

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This sounds about right to me Albert I usually dip 10 minutes . I've gotten to the point honestly where I don't even measure when I dip I originally started with 8ml to 1l but recently started adding a little more. I dip everything this same way and feel it works with ridding all the pests I'm looking to kill. One thing I do with clams that I forgot to mention in the write up is use a toothbrush on the outside shell to scrub off anything that looks suspicious. This is to insure no invasive types of algae make there way into my displays as well as any eggs that may be present. Albert I have not had any practical experience with pinched mantle and was wondering if the Bayer may also kill the protozoa that is believed to cause it, What are your thoughts?

I wish it would, but I have not found any research papers or articles that actually state that it can be used against this protozoan. P. marinus and P. olseni and a few others, may be affected by very heavy GAC filtration but then when that is done, other life forms may be affected by the over-filtration. Once thing that has been determined is that iron in the water seems to be beneficial to them and that using GFO is therefore not a good idea when one keeps clams as GFO, especially if used in a reactor will put iron in the tank's water. I believe that either Dr Shimek or Randy Holmes-Farley wrote an article that actually demonstrated how much gets in the tank (could have been Dana Riddle too, not sure now and where I am I cannot check).

What is also not know as far as I can tell is how long Perkinsus can survive in a tank even when no Clams are present in it.

For those who want more info, here is a link to info on Wikipedia : Perkinsus marinus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

trplxj

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is awesome, sadly it's too late for me. I lost my clam for no apparent reason over the weekend and have my snails going MIA all the time. And I know for a fact that I have seen flat worms on the glass at night but didn't know what they were. Time to build a trap and nuke those buggers.

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is awesome, sadly it's too late for me. I lost my clam for no apparent reason over the weekend and have my snails going MIA all the time. And I know for a fact that I have seen flat worms on the glass at night but didn't know what they were. Time to build a trap and nuke those buggers.

How large were the ones you saw on the glass if I may ask ? This could be due to another reason .... is there possibly a Mantis shrimp in that tank ?

trplxj

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

They were about 1 inch long, maybe a little shorter. I've thought mantis as well, but I haven't been able to see one. Although after the lights turn off I can hear a snapping snound in the tank from time to time. Maybe there is a mantis and I just can't find it. The clam death is funny though. It was open and looked great Saturday night. Sunday morning what was left of the clam was in a messy pile in the bottom of the tank and it's shell was empty. I had that clam for 3 years. :(

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They were about 1 inch long, maybe a little shorter. I've thought mantis as well, but I haven't been able to see one. Although after the lights turn off I can hear a snapping snound in the tank from time to time. Maybe there is a mantis and I just can't find it. The clam death is funny though. It was open and looked great Saturday night. Sunday morning what was left of the clam was in a messy pile in the bottom of the tank and it's shell was empty. I had that clam for 3 years. :(

You mean you have 1 inch long Mantis shrimp in the tank ? If so they could have done the damage. The other possibility is that if you have a lot of bristleworms or fireworms they could have been the cause as well

And if the clam shell is empty then whatever is in there plus hermit crabs will have helped themselves ... Take a good look at the tank after the lights have been out for a while and use a red light (flashlight with some red plastic or whatever in front of it) and check what you see as what caused it will probably be visible at that time.

Sorry about the loss and do post what you found out ... thanks

trplxj

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, 1 inch long flatworms of some kind. I'll keep an eye on the tank and see if I can find the killer.

AdeptMrSniffles

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome thread. I've spotted a 5+in long polyclad flatworm in my tank. I've spent countless hours at night looking for the SOB again. Guess its time for the 20oz bottle with a feeder clam trick. Sucks about how its not good to run GFO on a tank with a clam because I was looking to get one as my next tank livestock purchase. Glad I read this before hand.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 76 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back