Possible Overflow?!?! - Reef Octopus 100 HOB Protein Skimmer

bdongoron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a quick question here. New to his hobby and slowly working through my setup. My plan was to have my setup include coral and a small number of fish. I’m shooting for an extremely low bioload after my experience with freshwater and overstocking mbunas. After a year or so I eventually started to feel like I was slowly losing the battle to the bioload from overstock. Have always wanted to do saltwater but have been afraid to try. It was either sell my tank or give reefing a shot. I’m choosing to give it a go as I enjoy keeping fish. I researched the berlin method and was planning to start that way with no mechanical filtration, wavemakers and 1IB of live rock per 1 gallon of water.

I was told from the local store that Berlin is great but that I at the very least need a protein skimmer. I did purchase one the reef octopus 100 HOB. My concern though is potential overflow onto the floor. Is this a real possibility? Curious if anyone running these has experienced overflow with them. I have read a lot of good things about them online which is why I went with one. Planning to get water into the tank this week and start cycling the tank. Perhaps the protein skimmer is just something I supplement run on the weekends when I’m home, but throughout the week I just run a low tech Berlin method setup?

Thanks.
IMG_6347.jpeg

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the reef octo classic HoB for my 90g. In 6 years only ended up with 1 mess. Even then due to my own fault.

Sump Crab

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, any hob skimmer can overflow. Usually user error though IME. A skimmer is not 100% necessary if you stay low bioload and perform water changes somewhat frequently. A hob refugium or filter would be nice and pose much less risk of overflow.

OP
OP
bdongoron

bdongoron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, a HOB certainly can overflow. Have you considered a sump?

Yes, a HOB certainly can overflow. Have you considered a sump?
For this tank no, just because it’s mainly meant to be a freshwater tank. If I love reefing then 100% on the next tank, would purchase one that’s more setup for saltwater out of the gate.

OP
OP
bdongoron

bdongoron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the reef octo classic HoB for my 90g. In 6 years only ended up with 1 mess. Even then due to my own fault.
Good to know. I appreciate the reply man. I will give it ago, Started cycling about 3 days ago :)

OP
OP
bdongoron

bdongoron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at Tunze internal skimmers. If they overflow, they do so in the tank.
Wish I would have known these existed before buying the reef octopus. I’ll keep these in mind in case I decide HOB isn’t for me. Thanks so much man. The reef octopus is also a monster on the tank so not great to look at either.

OP
OP
bdongoron

bdongoron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, any hob skimmer can overflow. Usually user error though IME. A skimmer is not 100% necessary if you stay low bioload and perform water changes somewhat frequently. A hob refugium or filter would be nice and pose much less risk of overflow.
Appreciate that. I’ve heard that as well as far as low bioload and regular water changes. Guy at the fish store looked at me like I was crazy. I’ll keep the hob refugium in mind. Thanks so much.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 114 74.5%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 9.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back