Possible tank crash

hashbrown1408

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all I’ve ran into a problem with my nano tank 25g.

my tail spot blend passed away and I noticed that my phosphates spiked to 0.42. My ammonia is less than 0.02 and nitrates are 4. I also noticed that alkalinity has dropped to 3.7. Other fish and inverts look healthy and corals are looking healthy. Picture for reference.
I tried adding some phosphoguard but hasn’t seemed to help.
I typically feed no more than one cube of mysis a day and run refugium light O/N for 12hrs with a 20%weekly water change whilst dosing all for reef

Does anyone have an idea of what might have caused these drastic changes?
IMG_1928.jpeg

Brandont21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
When was the last time you checked parameters (edit: previous to these)? What are you testing with? Added anything new recently? What brand salt are you using? Ro/DI water for top offs? When were the filters on your rodi replaced?

Stevorino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I initially question the accuracy of the 3.7 Alk, which makes me also question that Phosphate reading (though that one seems much more possible).

I wouldn't lose sleep tonight in regards to an impending crash.

The nice thing about a 25g is that if you are really concerned about something being off, you can just do some heavy water changes over the next few days and get it cleared out pretty quick.

OP
OP
H

hashbrown1408

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When was the last time you checked parameters (edit: previous to these)? What are you testing with? Added anything new recently? What brand salt are you using? Ro/DI water for top offs? When were the filters on your rodi replaced?
I checked last week.

Ammonia: less than 0.02
Nitrates. 4.2
Alkalinity 8.2
Phosphates 0.4

This is when I decided to run phosphoguard, at this point all fish looked healthy. However it hasn’t affected phosphates but now alk has dropped.

Nothing new recently. I use an auto top off and run Red Sea purple bucket salt. The RO/DI I’ve been using is one from Amazon and it’s been atleast 9months since I replaced any filters.

Been considering investing in the BRS system but struggling to accept the price I’ll have to pay aha.

OP
OP
H

hashbrown1408

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I initially question the accuracy of the 3.7 Alk, which makes me also question that Phosphate reading (though that one seems much more possible).

The nice thing about a 25g is that if you are really concerned about something being off, you can just do some heavy water changes over the next few days and get it cleared out pretty quick.
I’ve been using the Hanna checkers for all the tests I mentioned with the exception of ammonia I just have the sea chem alert strip

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do a 10g water change asap and then 2-3 days later another one. That should get the parameters pretty close to being fully corrected

Chances are there is no difference between the Amazon rodi and BRS. Money better spent simply on new cartridges when you need them

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got it, thankyou!

Would phosphates that high be able to cause the fish death?
No... I've had fish at 1 to 2 ppm and soft corals. Perhaps the fish death caused the spike...

Just keep up routine WC, 20 percent a week is decent for a 25 gallon. I probably do that monthly for my 29 gallon.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 142 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.4%
Back