potentially getting a 2nd hand Kh director. What are some tips/tricks in setting up and using?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

TehBrainz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those that have been running a Kh director, I'm specifically interested in understanding how many tests per day on your system do you measure? Do you use the Kh to only monitor or also control alkalinity?

I've read various threads on Kh and other alk monitoring equipment for diy reagents, have you tried this?

What does maintenance look like for your system? Longevity?

More to come, I'm sure

Dave-T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am testing six times a day, every four hours. But that is probably excessive. I just use the GHL reagent, it's pretty cheap. I adjust my dosing manually, I think that's what most people do. But you can do automated dosing if you want to try that.

Vinny@GHLUSA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For someone who would like to test for monitoring purposes only, I'd say 1-2 test per day is enough.

Once you choose to let the KHD auto-adjust your KH dosages, that's when you'll see the benefits of testing more often. The more tests you do, the more fine tune adjustments it can make. The more adjustments it can make, the more stable your KH can become.

On my tank, I test 4 times per day and have the KHD auto-adjust. I usually see about 0.2 - 0.3 daily swing and the corals do well with that, so I leave it alone.

As for maintenance, it's best to set a reminder for yourself to calibrate the probe at least every 6 months. Even if by month 6, you feel you're still getting accurate results, calibrate anyway. Better to be proactive about it than wait for something to look "off", then act on it.

OP
OP
TehBrainz

TehBrainz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am testing six times a day, every four hours. But that is probably excessive. I just use the GHL reagent, it's pretty cheap. I adjust my dosing manually, I think that's what most people do. But you can do automated dosing if you want to try that.
Do you collect the waste water or dump into the tank? I've read either works if set up on a larger tank. My tank is ~200g total volume and I'd rather not have another container to keep track of if I don't have to

For someone who would like to test for monitoring purposes only, I'd say 1-2 test per day is enough.

Once you choose to let the KHD auto-adjust your KH dosages, that's when you'll see the benefits of testing more often. The more tests you do, the more fine tune adjustments it can make. The more adjustments it can make, the more stable your KH can become.

On my tank, I test 4 times per day and have the KHD auto-adjust. I usually see about 0.2 - 0.3 daily swing and the corals do well with that, so I leave it alone.

As for maintenance, it's best to set a reminder for yourself to calibrate the probe at least every 6 months. Even if by month 6, you feel you're still getting accurate results, calibrate anyway. Better to be proactive about it than wait for something to look "off", then act on it.
That's exactly how I handle the pH probe. I check and calibrate every 2 weeks as needed. Mostly as preventative from anything in the sump growing/getting stuck. Easy enough.

How would auto-adjust work with dosing 2-part? I currently keep my dosing heads at equal dosings. Or is it such a miniscule amount, could it adjusted for manually at the end of say, a weeks time?

I like to think I'd keep it set in monitoring mode for awhile, but I said that about the Maxi 2.2 with AWC's being manually activated and I set it to truly automatic within like 3 days haha

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 111 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back