Powder Brown Tang - emergency bumps on body

stormrage717

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have powder brown tang that developed what it appears is under surface bumps throughout his body. See pics.

Eating:
He was never an aggressive eater, he kind of waits and gets the smaller pieces that fall down. He never goes straight for the Nori, but rather gets pieces out of the water that float around, but even then he’s not an aggressive eater, which always had me concerned as that’s how he was from day one. When there is a feeding frenzy, he zooms around and seems to get extra excited, but never goes into the pack but also doesn’t act like he’s afraid of any of them especially since he’s 2x the next biggest one size.

Photo Disclaimer:
Even though on some of the pictures it shows that the dots are white, they’re not it’s a weird reflection. The bumps on his body are slightly raised, and it almost looks like he has something underneath his skin. in some cases, he has bumps, but no visible colors just his own colors. In other cases he has bumps, and there are slightly darker brown shadows around the bumps as seen in some of the photos that are highly exaggerated btw.

On closer examination when you look at him from the back and at angle, the bumps do appear to be slightly white at certain angles. Directly on not as much.

Behavior:
His behavior is the same as it was day one where he zooms around the tank very quickly stops by some fish, almost says hello zooms around some more, stops at a hiding place by a rock, zooms around some more, all day long. Occasionally he will glide on the side of his body. I believe the term is called flashing and rub against the sand. I have not seen him ever rub the Marco rock and I have been watching him very closely for two days now.

Tank:
200g, all water parameters are in check. Started tank with carib sea live sand and dry Marco rock. Fish were added all at the same time, about 15 of them 3 weeks ago. Tank cycled in about 3 weeks, but ran for 2 months after before any fish were added.

All other fish are happy fine, follow me around as soon as I get to the tank. Nobody has visibility of anything at all, all look good and active.

Fish were not quarantined. It wasn’t something that even crossed my radar. I was so obsessed to make sure that the water is clean and the water perimeters are all on point that I think I missed some of the basics of quarantine the fish

Either way I do have a 20 gallon quarantine tank with two ppm of copper ready to go and it’s been filtering and aerating for two days.

Please help
IMG_1916.jpeg
IMG_1898.jpeg IMG_1883.jpeg IMG_1884.jpeg IMG_1882.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I have powder brown tang that developed what it appears is under surface bumps throughout his body. See pics.

Eating:
He was never an aggressive eater, he kind of waits and gets the smaller pieces that fall down. He never goes straight for the Nori, but rather gets pieces out of the water that float around, but even then he’s not an aggressive eater, which always had me concerned as that’s how he was from day one. When there is a feeding frenzy, he zooms around and seems to get extra excited, but never goes into the pack but also doesn’t act like he’s afraid of any of them especially since he’s 2x the next biggest one size.

Photo Disclaimer:
Even though on some of the pictures it shows that the dots are white, they’re not it’s a weird reflection. The bumps on his body are slightly raised, and it almost looks like he has something underneath his skin. in some cases, he has bumps, but no visible colors just his own colors. In other cases he has bumps, and there are slightly darker brown shadows around the bumps as seen in some of the photos that are highly exaggerated btw.

On closer examination when you look at him from the back and at angle, the bumps do appear to be slightly white at certain angles. Directly on not as much.

Behavior:
His behavior is the same as it was day one where he zooms around the tank very quickly stops by some fish, almost says hello zooms around some more, stops at a hiding place by a rock, zooms around some more, all day long. Occasionally he will glide on the side of his body. I believe the term is called flashing and rub against the sand. I have not seen him ever rub the Marco rock and I have been watching him very closely for two days now.

Tank:
200g, all water parameters are in check. Started tank with carib sea live sand and dry Marco rock. Fish were added all at the same time, about 15 of them 3 weeks ago. Tank cycled in about 3 weeks, but ran for 2 months after before any fish were added.

All other fish are happy fine, follow me around as soon as I get to the tank. Nobody has visibility of anything at all, all look good and active.

Fish were not quarantined. It wasn’t something that even crossed my radar. I was so obsessed to make sure that the water is clean and the water perimeters are all on point that I think I missed some of the basics of quarantine the fish

Either way I do have a 20 gallon quarantine tank with two ppm of copper ready to go and it’s been filtering and aerating for two days.

Please help
IMG_1916.jpeg
This looks like a mix of skin irritations and mucus cones mixed in with ich. Hopefully you quarantined this fish which is susceptible to ich and velvet. You will need to place fish in Quarantine tank and treat with Coppersafe or Copper Power at therapeutic level 2.25-2.5 For a FULL 30 days (do not interrupt this 30 day period) monitored by a reliable Copper Test kit such as Hanna Brand- No API brand. Also monitor Ammonia levels while in quarantine with a reliable test kit and add aeration during treatment using an air stone.
Often other occupants will not show signs but keep an eye on them for any development of dots or skin irritation

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Eating:

Photo Disclaimer:

Behavior:

Tank:

Please help
IMG_1916.jpeg

As you may know, this species is really prone to developing ich infections. I don't see any white spots on the fins, so I'd rule that out (for now). However, it could easily have turbellarian worms. Those show as bumps of black spots. There isn't a good treatment for these in display tanks, but they are often self-limiting, that is, they go away on their own. Depends on the species though, there are some that can be fatal. formalin dips are the best way to control those, although some people have had success with FW dips.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 61 40.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 43 28.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 29 19.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back