Powerhead advice.

csfreeman2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 135gl tall 60x31x18. Is a single MP40 enough for this tank? One of my smaller powerheads burnt up and im wondering if adding another one is a must! Im very new to this expensive Hobby and trying to inch my way through it. ANy advice will help.

Thanks again.

Gsellers85

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still new to this hobby myself and I'm sure others can help you better than I. but water flow is key, I don't know if 1 MP40 will be enough to circulate the water enough in a 135g. Even if you buy a cheap power head just to get you through until you can save up for another mp40 is better than nothing

Preyou

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you have the same issue as I do. Money.

While they are phenomenal and I would gladly part with the $450 if I had spare lying around, I just can't afford it.

Instead, I purchased a pair of Jebao WP-25s. Not as clean of an install (wires in the tank vs. no wires with the MP40), but still a powerful little wave maker. Jebao just released a new wavemaker that allows for sync between units like the Ecotech MP units offer. Best part is that you can get a pair for under $200. Keep in mind, Jebao offers a 10, 25, 40, and 60 model... They are significantly more powerful than the equivalently numbered MP pump. The Wp-25 is comparable to a MP40 in power. I have two in a 110 display and they move the water really, really well.

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look into the newer style Jebao RW series. I have a pair of the RW-15's on my 125g and could not be happier with them, much wider flow then the WP series and very similar programming options as the Vortech MP's for FAR LESS $'s. I got mine through Fish Street but there are few US dealers now.

Cheers, Todd

Preyou

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^+1 That was the new model Jebao that I couldn't remember the model number on. You would think that it would be on their website, you would be wrong like I was.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 99 76.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

• I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back