Powerhead or Wavemaker Suggestion?

wgowen13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently I downsized from a 125 gal mixed reef to a 50 gallon LPS dominant reef. Since then, I would like to upgrade or renew my powerheads for a 50 gallon LPS dominant reef.

I've had Neros (can't remember the number/version) in the past but after awhile they fail, fall off the glass, or snails get caught in the propellers. Based on this, I invested in a Jump 4k gyre flow pump (2000 gph). Now after using the gyre, I'm not happy with the flow and/or flow options. I've contemplated going back to Neros but using anemone guards to prevent snails from lodging in the between the propeller blades. However, I'm open to using other power heads.

What does everyone else use or suggest, and why?

Thunderstruck34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Vortechs! Huge fan of not having wires in the tank and they just have a solid reputation. I’ve never had any issues (knock on wood) in the past 10 years with any of mine. 4D aquatics makes these really cool adapters for them to add directional flow as well!

OP
OP
wgowen13

wgowen13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vortechs! Huge fan of not having wires in the tank and they just have a solid reputation. I’ve never had any issues (knock on wood) in the past 10 years with any of mine. 4D aquatics makes these really cool adapters for them to add directional flow as well!
Thank you! I picked up two MP10s yesterday and installed. Super excited to see how they work.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 26 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 14.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 96 56.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 7.1%
Back