Powerhead output/position’s recommendations

mazza

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all I’ve added a jeboa MOW-5 to my fluval evo 13.5 gal/52 liter tank as I’ve recently added gsp/ Kenya tree with a max flow of 500 to 5000L/H just curious on the best settings/flow for this pump it has sine wave mode which can adjust the frequency of the waves and also the correct position of the pump I’ll post photos of my tank below also I have a tmc reef compact 500 return pump output max of 500L/H
image.jpg
image.jpg

OP
OP
M

mazza

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will need to experiment to see what provides the best expansion for your corals.
Do you think that is to much flow all my substrates keeps blowing around wherever I put the pump it’s only on 500l/h same with the return

Sod Buster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the sand, Carib sea special grade? In time the sand will lock together and fine particles will end up on the bottom and stays put. My hectors goby and serpent star dig new holes now & then making a little mess. I have a 13.5 running also. I can't remember what sicce pump for the return, but I'm pushing one 1000L and one 2000L sicce voyager nano streams against the return current. Also have the 3d printed variable flow return nozzles. It's ugly, but try the powerhead on the front higher up on the glass. Make the streams collide for random movement, not a whirlpool going all the same direction. Powerheads on the front glass is the most gentle flow spot in the tank, so the Hector and Tailspot hang there where I can see them. You can shoot me more questions, but use the search, lots of success on these 13.5 pnp over the years.

Sod Buster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another quick upgrade you can do is get some media baskets for the return box. Mine are "in tank" brand, but others make them now. Definitely get the little plastic plug for the middle chamber on the back wall. That ensures you don't bypass your filtration. That is there so you don't starve the pump b/c you don't have ATO or neglect evaporation from factory. You can glue or epoxy it shut also, but the plug is a few $. Pics this time.

Attachments

• 20240326_125703.jpg
    20240326_125703.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 14
  • 20240326_123623.jpg
    20240326_123623.jpg
    207 KB · Views: 18
  • 20240326_122230.jpg
    20240326_122230.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 17
OP
OP
M

mazza

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the sand, Carib sea special grade? In time the sand will lock together and fine particles will end up on the bottom and stays put. My hectors goby and serpent star dig new holes now & then making a little mess. I have a 13.5 running also. I can't remember what sicce pump for the return, but I'm pushing one 1000L and one 2000L sicce voyager nano streams against the return current. Also have the 3d printed variable flow return nozzles. It's ugly, but try the powerhead on the front higher up on the glass. Make the streams collide for random movement, not a whirlpool going all the same direction. Powerheads on the front glass is the most gentle flow spot in the tank, so the Hector and Tailspot hang there where I can see them. You can shoot me more questions, but use the search, lots of success on these 13.5 pnp over the years.
Thanks for the reply I’m not sure which sand it is pretty sure the lsf gave it to me in a loose bag I’ve change the pump to the opposite side against the return the substrate has settled but not much flow on the corals should I up the output currently running at 500L/H on both pumps video below cheers

Attachments

• IMG_1779.mov
    31.3 MB
  • 73316559178__6BABE772-5794-4E60-B99F-CDBDD9DC2E2D.MOV
    887.5 KB
OP
OP
M

mazza

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply I’m not sure which sand it is pretty sure the lsf gave it to me in a loose bag I’ve change the pump to the opposite side against the return the substrate has settled but not much flow on the corals should I up the output currently running at 500L/H on both pumps video below cheers

Attachments

• IMG_1779.mov
    31.3 MB

Sod Buster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are those just green star polyps? You can move them down and put them on their own rock island. The Kenya, just let it be and don't blast it since you've moved it. Point the powerhead down some. Tie a 6 inch string to something like a plastic fork or chopstick and observe how the end of the string moves in the tank. If it goes straight out, High flow, not good for the tree. A crawling snake is better. If the tail of the string passes the knot or stick, then goes back to waving behind the stick, good for the tree. You don't necessarily need to crank flow, but need to look at stuff. If the diatoms on your sand get on the Kenya, it won't like it and close or shed. Imagine two old people dancing at their 50th wedding anniversary celebration, the polyps should dance around about that slow for that. My evo has 2 pumps on all the time, a 1000 & 2000. I've got a 1000 in the box ready in case. Get a string and tie it to something and watch. The ocean is a pretty violent place to live w/ current, tides, and storms. Don't blow the skin off your softies, but you'll be surprised what they take.

OP
OP
M

mazza

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are those just green star polyps? You can move them down and put them on their own rock island. The Kenya, just let it be and don't blast it since you've moved it. Point the powerhead down some. Tie a 6 inch string to something like a plastic fork or chopstick and observe how the end of the string moves in the tank. If it goes straight out, High flow, not good for the tree. A crawling snake is better. If the tail of the string passes the knot or stick, then goes back to waving behind the stick, good for the tree. You don't necessarily need to crank flow, but need to look at stuff. If the diatoms on your sand get on the Kenya, it won't like it and close or shed. Imagine two old people dancing at their 50th wedding anniversary celebration, the polyps should dance around about that slow for that. My evo has 2 pumps on all the time, a 1000 & 2000. I've got a 1000 in the box ready in case. Get a string and tie it to something and watch. The ocean is a pretty violent place to live w/ current, tides, and storms. Don't blow the skin off your softies, but you'll be surprised what they take.
I think I might have found the sweet spot a gentle wave on both green star polyp and Kenya tree I think I’ll leave it there for a few day see how I get on and see the way the tree is sagging on the sand will that lift its self of it in the coming days? Thanks for the help

Attachments

• IMG_1780.mov
    41.1 MB
OP
OP
M

mazza

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I might have found the sweet spot a gentle wave on both green star polyp and Kenya tree I think I’ll leave it there for a few day see how I get on and see the way the tree is sagging on the sand will that lift its self of it in the coming days? Thanks for the help
Can you see the video

Last edited:

Sod Buster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did see the video. Cut the string in half. The powerhead was trying to suck it in. The old people dance looked very nice w/ your specimens on polyp level. Let it ride for 4 days and just watch. If you have filter floss or can pull a little pillow stuffing out of a pillow, put that over the intake grate while you take that stick or a baster and give your sand a little ****** for the brown diatoms. Remove the floss in a 1/2 hour. Your sand will get its own ecosystem rolling in time & lock together, just stir small patches of it at a time maybe next year so it doesn't get calcified. You'll be fine. I see you are in Ireland. If I don't answer a question you have right away, I'm working or sleeping.

OP
OP
M

mazza

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did see the video. Cut the string in half. The powerhead was trying to suck it in. The old people dance looked very nice w/ your specimens on polyp level. Let it ride for 4 days and just watch. If you have filter floss or can pull a little pillow stuffing out of a pillow, put that over the intake grate while you take that stick or a baster and give your sand a little ****** for the brown diatoms. Remove the floss in a 1/2 hour. Your sand will get its own ecosystem rolling in time & lock together, just stir small patches of it at a time maybe next year so it doesn't get calcified. You'll be fine. I see you are in Ireland. If I don't answer a question you have right away, I'm working or sleeping.
Appreciate the help great little community this is wish you all the best mate. :)

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think that is to much flow all my substrates keeps blowing around wherever I put the pump it’s only on 500l/h same with the return

There is no simple answer. You will need to take time and see how your animals react to different flow rates as well as all the other variables in your system. And keep in mind as you add more animals and your animals grow it's likely you will need to make changes to all those variables.

Here's a data bomb ;)

This article might help you understand what maricultured live rock does.

https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/estab...obiome-in-a-new-aquarium-using-live-rock.742/

Reef ecosystems are arguably the most complex ecosystems on the planet and lots of researchers are still trying to figure out how they work. Here's some links you may find useful to understand better what is giong on in your system.

"Coral Reefs in the Microbial Seas" This video compliments Rohwer's book of the same title (Paper back is ~$20, Kindle is ~$10), both deal with the conflicting roles of the different types of DOC in reef ecosystems. While there is overlap bewteen his book and the video both have information not covered by the other and together give a broader view of the complex relationships found in reef ecosystems

Changing Seas - Mysterious Microbes

Microbial view of Coral Decline

Nitrogen cycling in hte coral holobiont

BActeria and Sponges

Maintenance of Coral Reef Health (refferences at the end)

Optical Feedback Loop in Colorful Coral Bleaching

DNA Sequencing and the Reef Tank Microbiome

Richard Ross What's up with phosphate"

OP
OP
M

mazza

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no simple answer. You will need to take time and see how your animals react to different flow rates as well as all the other variables in your system. And keep in mind as you add more animals and your animals grow it's likely you will need to make changes to all those variables.

Here's a data bomb ;)

This article might help you understand what maricultured live rock does.

https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/estab...obiome-in-a-new-aquarium-using-live-rock.742/

Reef ecosystems are arguably the most complex ecosystems on the planet and lots of researchers are still trying to figure out how they work. Here's some links you may find useful to understand better what is giong on in your system.

"Coral Reefs in the Microbial Seas" This video compliments Rohwer's book of the same title (Paper back is ~$20, Kindle is ~$10), both deal with the conflicting roles of the different types of DOC in reef ecosystems. While there is overlap bewteen his book and the video both have information not covered by the other and together give a broader view of the complex relationships found in reef ecosystems

Changing Seas - Mysterious Microbes

Microbial view of Coral Decline

Nitrogen cycling in hte coral holobiont

BActeria and Sponges

Maintenance of Coral Reef Health (refferences at the end)

Optical Feedback Loop in Colorful Coral Bleaching

DNA Sequencing and the Reef Tank Microbiome

Richard Ross What's up with phosphate"

In your opinion do you think that Kenya tree is failing

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    216.1 KB · Views: 10

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In your opinion do you think that Kenya tree is failing

Your question and your Kenya Tree are a good example of there is no simple answer. If I saw that lack of expansion in one of my tanks I'd think there was a problem if it lasted more than a few days. But in your system, partly because it looks like a new system and is still maturing, partly because it looks like you like high flow rates, partly because it looks like the lighting is different than what I would use, partly because the history of that colony in the system it initially grew in is unkown, partly because it may still be acclimating to your system, it may be perfectly normal right now for that colony in your tank.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 148 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back