OP
OP
Brad Coughlan

Brad Coughlan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a bit complicated. The flukes are not prazi resistant - what happens is that with repeated doses, a bacteria grows that eats prazi. Eventually, it eats the prazi before it has a chance to work. You won’t see this with just two doses - it takes 5 or more over time.
Ok then

That could potentially be an issue, since I QT my fish but not corals, so if I introduced flukes again and treated in the DT a couple of times throughout the tanks life, could that become an issue?

This is obviously just an example and I'm of course not guranteed to introduce it again, but maybe it can

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok then

That could potentially be an issue, since I QT my fish but not corals, so if I introduced flukes again and treated in the DT a couple of times throughout the tanks life, could that become an issue?

This is obviously just an example and I'm of course not guranteed to introduce it again, but maybe it can

Yes - it only becomes an issue if the same tank is used to quarantine fish over and over again using prazi. You can sterilize the quarantine tank between batches of fish and restart the biofilter, and the prazi eating bacteria will be killed off, so things get "reset" back to normal.

OP
OP
Brad Coughlan

Brad Coughlan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes - it only becomes an issue if the same tank is used to quarantine fish over and over again using prazi. You can sterilize the quarantine tank between batches of fish and restart the biofilter, and the prazi eating bacteria will be killed off, so things get "reset" back to normal.
Sorry, I forgot to mention, this treatment is being done in the DT, so if I'm not mistaken, to avoid this issue, I'll have to carry out future treatment in a QT

OP
OP
Brad Coughlan

Brad Coughlan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Jay,
The second Prazi dose is almost due, and I saw that you mentioned to do it 8 days after the first one, but I have also heard others say 7, does it really matter? Would you just suggest 8 days after the first one?

- Thanks

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Jay,
The second Prazi dose is almost due, and I saw that you mentioned to do it 8 days after the first one, but I have also heard others say 7, does it really matter? Would you just suggest 8 days after the first one?

- Thanks

The range is usually 7 to 9 days, so I pick 8. Nobody knows the incubation time of the eggs exactly because if varies by fluke species and by water temperature.

OP
OP
Brad Coughlan

Brad Coughlan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The range is usually 7 to 9 days, so I pick 8. Nobody knows the incubation time of the eggs exactly because if varies by fluke species and by water temperature.
Thanks,

One thing that made me curious, I store my glass algae scraper in the packaging that it comes in, which mean inside are droplets of saltwater from the tank, could they carry in flukes that are currently not eliminated, that could be reintroduced after a second dose?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks,

One thing that made me curious, I store my glass algae scraper in the packaging that it comes in, which mean inside are droplets of saltwater from the tank, could they carry in flukes that are currently not eliminated, that could be reintroduced after a second dose?
Unlikely, but possible. Soak it in freshwater after use.

OP
OP
Brad Coughlan

Brad Coughlan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unlikely, but possible. Soak it in freshwater after use.
If I do the 2nd on sunday (8 days after the 1st) I likely would not have enough time around the tank on that day to do the water change before it

Could I just do it tomorrow (7 days after the 1st) and still have it be effective?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did the 2nd dose, but I forgot to shake the prazipro before using it... could this render it ineffective? I'm just thinking that the praziquantel could set on the bottom of the bottle

I can't say for sure, but yes, you are supposed to shake it well before use, so I suspect that you didn't get a full dose.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would be the best way to correct it?

You can't. Since you don't know how much, if any, the under-dose was, you cannot correct for it.

Your two options would be to just ignore the issue (but shake the bottle from now on) or to redose in 72 hours and go from there.

OP
OP
Brad Coughlan

Brad Coughlan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can't. Since you don't know how much, if any, the under-dose was, you cannot correct for it.

Your two options would be to just ignore the issue (but shake the bottle from now on) or to redose in 72 hours and go from there.
1 thing I should note

No I did not shake the bottle, but when I drew it into the syringe I did it multiple times to get an accurate amount, so technically, the prazipro wasn't stagnent prior to dosing but the bottle says to shake "vigorously" so I'm not sure what I did would imply that

BigMax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay, I assume soaking the crushed coral substrate and biofilter in freshwater will kill off the PraziPro eating bacteria? Making it available for re-use. Much like nitrification bacteria is 'different' in saltwater vs. fresh; I would assume the PraziPro eating bacteria are of the same nature?

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay, I assume soaking the crushed coral substrate and biofilter in freshwater will kill off the PraziPro eating bacteria? Making it available for re-use. Much like nitrification bacteria is 'different' in saltwater vs. fresh; I would assume the PraziPro eating bacteria are of the same nature?
That hasn’t been tested that I know of. The bacteria that consumes prazi is active in both freshwater and marine tanks. I can’t tell you if they are the same species or not, but I wouldn’t rely on a salinity change to kill them.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 29.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 35.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 26.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 6.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.5%
Back