Pre-Tank Cycling With Bio Media

ChiReefGuy3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone,

I am planning on getting a 90-gallon tank but I'm not quite ready to start cycling the display tank (still have to paint the room, buy the tank, create my aquascape with dry rock, ect...). However, I know I will be setting it up within the next 6 months or so and would like to get a jump start on anything I can. Am I able to cycle bio media in something like a 5-gallon bucket with Microbacter until the display tank is ready and then put the cycled bio media in the sump to jump-start the dry rock cycle?

1. Will this actually make a difference?
2. Which bio media would you recommend? The marine pure ceramic plates look nice but I've read they may or may not cause aluminum problems?

Thank you!

Tuan’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Absolutely , you can start now. You can buy the dry rock now and get it aquascaped to your liking, then put it in a tub of saltwater with bacteria to start the dark cycle.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I have done this before and its works fine. You can even put some of the sand in the bucket or container too.

OP
OP
ChiReefGuy3

ChiReefGuy3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! Would it be beneficial to add in a small piece of live rock from my LFS into the bucket as the bio media cycles?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! Would it be beneficial to add in a small piece of live rock from my LFS into the bucket as the bio media cycles?

This is debatable. You would kill off lots of the neat stuff from the rock without a proper light, and may introduce pests. I am not a fan of lfs live rock unless it was farmed from some place or is kept in a fish free, coral free system. The reason being that lfs rock is often filled with hobby pests, and lacking in much of the neat stuff.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buying a piece of live rock ahead of time isn't needed. It could add a little diversity depending on where you get it. If diversity is your goal, adding some live ocean rock once tank it setup would be better.

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bottled bacteria and the blocks you mentioned or bio-balls etc. is all you really need. Don't get in a hurry ! And start out slowly with the fish.

Last edited:

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 108 43.7%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 117 47.4%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 22 8.9%
Back