Problem with Kent Reef Carbon

dakotasreef

Prestige Worldwide
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just trying to get a feeler out there, to see if anyone else has had problems with Kent Marines carbon.

I recently added some into one of my reactors. Came down a few hours later to a dying sps tank. A few days later and every thing is dead minus the fish.

I have used carbon many times in the past, just not all of the time. I went through the normal procedures prior to installing it on my tank. I actually run RO water through it until all the dust is gone and I even use a filter sock on the output of the reactor while it is running on the tank.

I just can't understand how this could happen by adding carbon, and on top of that, so quickly.

I talked to kent marine and they told me it basically shocked my system by removing the organics too fast. Blah, blah, blah.

Anyone else that has had similar problems, please chime in.

The other thing is, this tank had been up for 2 years. So 2 years of sps down the drain!

OP
OP
dakotasreef

dakotasreef

Prestige Worldwide
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ph 8.01
Alk 7.8 hanna
Sal 1.025
Phos .01 hanna
Nitrate 0
Temp 77.7
Calcium 420

These were my readings from Friday night

finrott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have joined this forum because i had the exact same issue twice!!! Luckly i havent lost any of my corals. I have a 100gallon system ph 8.2 dkh 7.5, po4 0, nitrite 0, sal 34ppt. At the end of december replaced my carbon with kent marine carbon. Within a few hours i noticed my monit's and acro's staring to loose color. Immediately removed the carbon. Tried to make sense of the issue and the only conclusion i could come up with was that maybe, intitally, my water wasnt as clean as i thought it was, in other words this kent carbon extracted something too fast causing the water to become to clean to quickly intern causing a light shock to my corals. i decided to go back to seachem carbon without any issues. Two weeks ago i decided to give kent another try. this time i added waaay less than one cup full. (In the directions they say use one cup per 100gallon) within a few hours again i started noticing some bleaching!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

finrott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a pic of my system 3 weeks after the bleaching (Most of my corals getting there color back):

071.jpg
[/IMG]

finrott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry dakotareef for the thread hi jack.... i would really like to know what i have done wrong or why is kent carbon different from other carbons

OP
OP
dakotasreef

dakotasreef

Prestige Worldwide
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No worries.

I thought about the carbon being extremely efficient and just pulling the organics out extremely quick. That would make sense. Then the clearer water would allow more light, hence, burning your corals.

In my case though, even my frag tank that was on a reverse lighting cycle bleached at the same rate. If had been a delay between the two then it would have made sense also, due to the stress.

Im just trying to figure out the problem, so it won't happen to anyone else.

I know for a fact it has happened to at least one other person on here and his friend who didn't believe him and threw a cup on his tank and lost corals too.

finrott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No worries.

I thought about the carbon being extremely efficient and just pulling the organics out extremely quick. That would make sense. Then the clearer water would allow more light, hence, burning your corals.

In my case though, even my frag tank that was on a reverse lighting cycle bleached at the same rate. If had been a delay between the two then it would have made sense also, due to the stress.

Im just trying to figure out the problem, so it won't happen to anyone else.

I know for a fact it has happened to at least one other person on here and his friend who didn't believe him and threw a cup on his tank and lost corals too.

So i think the big question is, Is there anyone else using kent carbon? and have they experienced any problems before?

On a side note all my corals have recovered and are looking good.

Fishinfool

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I experienced the exact same problems. Our difference is that I always run carbon in my system. I change it every 30 days to the day with the exact same amount(1 cup or 1/4 lb). Nothing changes in the way I use it. With me, my frag tank that was also ran on opposing cycles, everything dead...This is definitely a carbon issue and not a user error issue. I just can't believe this has happened...

EpicWin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kent has issued a recall a
For the carbon. It had heavy metals. People who were effected should ban together and do a class action lawsuit

bonomo53

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this happened to a lfs i go too they added the carbon and all there sps started bleaching

neuwave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, threads like these are popping up everywhere. So many people are losing their stony corals. Sorry to hear about it.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 91 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back