Programming for calcium reactor solenoid failure

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Okay so I understand to program my co2 solenoid to for example if ph 6.4 then off
If ph 6.5 then on..

But my question is what’s a good program for if my solenoid failed and kept melting my media in the rare chance and kept dosing?

I have an Alkatronic, and Kamoer dosing pump. Maybe program if my alk is too high then shut off feed Kamoer pump to reactor? I hope this makes sense. Thanks.

Pic cuz I’m proud of setting up my reactor!

IMG_2513.jpeg

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only had a solenoid die once and it died closed … and I’ve been running a calcium reactor since the late 90s. Most experienced users run them continuously. Figure out what the right co2 and effluent flow is and just maintain. You can set your apex to do an ‘emergency’ reactor shutdown if alk goes too high. If your solenoid did fail open you could absolutely shut down the feed pump.

OP
OP
C

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I only had a solenoid die once and it died closed … and I’ve been running a calcium reactor since the late 90s. Most experienced users run them continuously. Figure out what the right co2 and effluent flow is and just maintain. You can set your apex to do an ‘emergency’ reactor shutdown if alk goes too high. If your solenoid did fail open you could absolutely shut down the feed pump.
Thank you I figured it would be a very rare case it would be stuck on and open and even then if you adjust co2 bubbles right it should not lower the ph too much from my understanding. I just was curious if anyone had any other type of redundancy to add as well. Reassuring to hear it has never failed open.

OP
OP
C

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Mine is always on. It goes off if the power goes out. I also run no ph probe or controller. Imo, its the easiest way to run a carx.
dang that would scare me lol. Seems like the easiest way but is it the safest? Haha.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dang that would scare me lol. Seems like the easiest way but is it the safest? Haha.
Its old school but Imo, its safer than running a ph probe with controller. You set your bubble count and let the Kamoer pump do the rest.
Qualkty 2 stage regulator and Kamoer and your set.
This way your solenoid is not going on/off all the time and you never have to worry about your ph probe, the weakest link needing calibration.
20240428_140205.jpg
20240422_194428.jpg

OP
OP
C

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Its old school but Imo, its safer than running a ph probe with controller. You set your bubble count and let the Kamoer pump do the rest.
Qualkty 2 stage regulator and Kamoer and your set.
This way your solenoid is not going on/off all the time and you never have to worry about your ph probe, the weakest link needing calibration.
20240428_140205.jpg
20240422_194428.jpg
Interesting so your solenoid is always open and only will close when the power goes off? So no controller needed ? It makes sense.

Did you test effluent alk to know your bubble count was correct or just based on your alk ?

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting so your solenoid is always open and only will close when the power goes off? So no controller needed ? It makes sense.

Did you test effluent alk to know your bubble count was correct or just based on your alk ?
You want effluent to be 20-30.
My tank is only 15 days old and I set effluent to 40mlm and bubbles to 50bpm. That gave an alk of over 30.
I am only using 0.5 alk a day and my alk went from 7 to 8 over night.
I shut the co2 off and will let it come down and then restart co2 at around 20bpm then measure alk.
Once your alk stays at the level you want then you increase co2 and effluent together to adjust as alk consumption goes up.
Normaly you wait until alk consumption is higher but you can adjust the effluent to whatever you want it to be to get your desired systems alk number.
I will adjust mine to get around 15 alk as thats all thats needed at this early stage.
Always wait 24hrs before retesting alk before making any adjustments.
You can pm me if you want more info offline.

OP
OP
C

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You want effluent to be 20-30.
My tank is only 15 days old and I set effluent to 40mlm and bubbles to 50bpm. That gave an alk of over 30.
I am only using 0.5 alk a day and my alk went from 7 to 8 over night.
I shut the co2 off and will let it come down and then restart co2 at around 20bpm then measure alk.
Once your alk stays at the level you want then you increase co2 and effluent together to adjust as alk consumption goes up.
Normaly you wait until alk consumption is higher but you can adjust the effluent to whatever you want it to be to get your desired systems alk number.
I will adjust mine to get around 15 alk as thats all thats needed at this early stage.
Always wait 24hrs before retesting alk before making any adjustments.
You can pm me if you want more info offline.
Thank you sorry just getting around to this. Had a busy weekend! This all makes sense and is definitely going to help me when I’m setting up my reactor. I’m just happy I’m able to follow what you’re saying haha. I was so confused initially on setting it up. I’ll reach out if i have any questions that arise.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 24 22.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 77 72.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.7%
Back