Protein skimmer

Yasser Mahmoud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is certain that the emergence of protein skimmer has led to great efforts in reducing the amount of dissolved organic matter in marine ponds. It also increases water aeration, which helps maintain adequate levels of oxygen and has other beneficial effects such as removing toxins, reducing water yellowing, and reducing substances. As a primary source of nutrients that stimulate algae growth, I believe that skimming is a powerful benefit to reef tanks

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is certain that the emergence of protein skimmer has led to great efforts in reducing the amount of dissolved organic matter in marine ponds. It also increases water aeration, which helps maintain adequate levels of oxygen and has other beneficial effects such as removing toxins, reducing water yellowing, and reducing substances. As a primary source of nutrients that stimulate algae growth, I believe that skimming is a powerful benefit to reef tanks
I won’t argue with beliefs.

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is certain that the emergence of protein skimmer has led to great efforts in reducing the amount of dissolved organic matter in marine ponds.
Removes a percentage of certain dissolved organics, not all.
It also increases water aeration, which helps maintain adequate levels of oxygen and has other beneficial effects such as removing toxins
Can't increase oxidation above saturation. Might help if Dissolved O2 is low. Only removes certain organic toxins, again, not all. So will an airstone.
...reducing water yellowing, and reducing substances.
Again, depends on the substances causing the yellowing.
As a primary source of nutrients that stimulate algae growth, I believe that skimming is a powerful benefit to reef tanks
It's really a double edged sword. Nutrient pathways and the food web are interrelated. Yes a skimmer removes some dissolved organics that might otherwise break down to increase phosphate and nitrate that encourage microalgae, or feed Cyano Algae and Dinos... BUT... Those same dissolved organics may also feed corals and other beneficial organisms. If there is a lot of organic input, skimmers can help with necessary export. Unfortunately, unless the is heavy input, the export facilitated by skimmers can be excessive and strain the food web.

I think skimmers are a great tool & still run one on and off in my tank. I know others that run multiple skimmers 24/7 but input massive amounts of food.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 11.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 5.6%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back