Protein Skimmer?

Flats Man

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have two 28gal HQI cubes and I was wondering if we should have the protein skimmers in them.Both have media baskets from mediabaskets.com with filter floss,chempure elite and macro algae in bottom.Should I keep running these proein skimmers? Both tanks have few small fish but mostly corals(Zoas,ricordeas,tridacna clams,xenias etc.) Thx in advance:bigsmile:

drainbamage

Extreme Whippersnapper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The corals you listed aren't super "clean" water demanding, so it's not an easy answer (well it could be "yes, you always need a skimmer" but I don't like that answer much.)
It goes more to your tank, how comfortable you are with it and being able to see how it's doing. My Max has a skimmer, but for the better part of it's existance has been essentially skimmer-less as the fluctuating water level in the back chamber has prevented the skimmer from functioning very much. If this is a similar situation to yours, I'd recommend learning to run the tank skimmer-less (keeping an eye on nutritients and preventing build up either by limited feeding or removal of waste via water changes or sufficient algae growth in your 'fuge.) If however the water level stays consistent, if your skimmer is functioning quite well, then I'd say leave it and make use of it.

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 27 16.6%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 68 41.7%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 22 13.5%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 36 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.1%
Back